AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my HDnet service set up tonight and thought I would pass along a few tips from my experience. I imagine many of you out there are thinking of doing as I did and getting a used DTC-100, aiming a single dish at 119, and signing up for the DirecTV Limited package for $7.99 a month. First of all be prepared to deal with the usual clueless CSR at first (no need to mention this to any of you who have dealt with DBS providers in the past). The CSR will absolutely insist that you HAVE to have a dish aimed at 101 to get your access card activated...WRONG camel breath! You know that this is not true but the CSR will not so politely ask the CSR to connect you to his/her supervisor. I did this and got an extremely nice young lady on the phone who was equally insistent that you had to be aimed at 101 to activate. I politely pointed out that I had read no less than 6 accounts here in the AVS forum of individuals activating with a single 119 dish, thus I POLITELY asked her to go ahead and try the activation anyway to see if PPV channel 199 would show up in my guide. Naturally she went through the account activation and sure as s**t 199 (and a ton of other channels) show up in my guide and I'm set! Bottom line is: be POLITE (regardless of your irritation at having to explain something to them that they should know already) and you will get what you want! I also made sure the supervisor I talked to knew that I was aware of the $7.99 limited programming package (I've read other accounts here of the CSRs not being aware of the limited package and trying to foist more expensive packages on the customer)...

So what do I think of HDnet so far? WHO CARES...ain't that HDnet girl something special!!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a similar experience with Directv, but after talking to a supervisior (politely) I was able to get the 14.00 HBO package alone with no other subscription. So you get the 199 plus the 509 HD feeds, plus all the PPV's you want. Nice combo!

Richard

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
HBO is $12 on DirecTV I thought.

For people activating DirecTV HDNet for the first time, don't bother telling them you have an HDTV receiver or want HD channel, I know it is hard for our ego but don't bother, they will not be impressed.

Answer yes when they ask if the singals are good, at least 70 and up! Tell them you can see their info channel just fine. No matter what satellite they ask, just say yes.

Insist that they add just the $7.99 Limited package for the time being, unless you do want other packages. Do not try to explain you want 199, just you want the Limited for access to PPV service only.

Thank them very nicely for a job well done.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a DST 3000, can I also use it in the same way as the DTC 100? In other words can I also point only one dish at the 119 sat and get the 7.99 HDNET package?

·
Registered
83 Posts
So, If I just call up DirectTV and ask for the 7.99 package, they will know what I'm talking about? It is not listed on their website...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I called yesterday around 5pm to sign up and had no problems asking for the $7.99 package. The CSR knew what I was asking for right away although she didn't have any idea what HDNet was.

D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.