AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I volunteered to help out a guy I know with a botched installation of his Directv HD Sat system. The install tech mounted it to vinyl siding and it wobbles everytime anything more than a 2 mph breeze blows on it. He's on the water so this is an issue... It's impossible to get it pointed and tilted properly at Sats B and C the way it's mounted now. Remounting isn't my problem however, I'm well versed in that area.

My issue is this... The dish installed for him is a Phase 3 dish with the diplexor / multiswitch built into the dish. He wants to run 2 receivers off of this dish which wouldn't be an issue (normally, I'd just run 2 RG6U leads directly from the dish to both of the receivers) but there is only one RG6U lead running from his dish into his condo. That's the way it's wired... and it would be impossible for me to run another RG6U cable from the dish on the roof into his condo because he isn't allowed cables to be run on the outside of his unit.... and to go inside through walls I'd have to run it through other condo units, and that just isn't an option. So inside the unit all I have to work with is the one lead from the already diplexed/multiswitched phase 3 dish.... but I need to run that ONE lead to TWO different directv receivers.

The install tech brought in an older multiswitch which he tried (and failed) to use within the condo. It was a blue RCA/DSS model with INPUTS for LNB A, LNB B and ANT/CBL IN... OUTPUTS were for 4 receivers. Problem is, when you attached the lead from the Phase 3 dish into the RCA/DSS multiswitch, it won't work properly for either receiver. What happens is when you connect the lead from the Phase 3 dish to the "LNB A" input, it knocks out all the odd numbered transponders for all of the outputs. When you connect the lead from the Phase 3 dish to the "LNB B" input, it knocks out all the even numbered transponders for all of the outputs to the receivers.

From what I understand, this happens because this is an older multiswitch without some sort of key feature (is it called cascading ???) Can someone please explain this to me, and maybe recommend a proper model of multiswitch I could use in this situation ? Links would help too if possible.

Or are we screwed ? Because the multiswitch is already built into that phase 3 dish would it be impossible to split that one lead with another multiswitch to feed 2 receivers within the condo ? Is the only solution to run another lead from the dish ? Or is there a model of multiswitch I can in-fact use in this situation ?

Please help if you can, and thanks for any advice you can provide.

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Even if the dish didn't have a built-in multiswitch, you can't split a single sat line with a multiswitch to produce two lines. Just won't work. You need a minimum of two lines from the dish.

This thread over in the TiVo Community forum should also be helpful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.