AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
16901 - 16920 of 16937 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I ordered through Costco a couple of months ago and the installer brought all of the equipment with him when he came.
What company did he work for, or was he just a freelance installer?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I believe he was a freelance installer.
Amazing how things are these days. I'm not sure if things are any different when ordering directly from Directv, or if it's this way no matter where you place your order. My father in laws nephew who is an ex con was doing installs for Directv a few years ago. Apparently several ex cons get into this line of work. Quite a few have been known to come back and extract a few valuables from people's houses shortly after they had their Directv installed. That landed my father in laws nephew back in jail so we've heard.:(

Reactions: 49Merc

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just to jump into the fray; Recently purchased a Sony 930D (hooked up to a HR-44); I have had DIRECTV since 1998; I was on the phone with tech support (seemed knowledgeable) for another issue with the bedroom DVR (refurbished entry level unit for a previous failed unit); while passing time, we chatted about UHD/DIRECTV. He stated to me that I could use my HR-44 for 4K viewing, i.e., all it needed was a firmware update and it would be good to go. I don't know whether i have a reverse LNB up top....I know that it was updated last summer to a 5 LNB dish. I also have read that the HR-44 was fine for just recorded 4k-not live....any comments?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just to jump into the fray; Recently purchased a Sony 930D (hooked up to a HR-44); I have had DIRECTV since 1998; I was on the phone with tech support (seemed knowledgeable) for another issue with the bedroom DVR (refurbished entry level unit for a previous failed unit); while passing time, we chatted about UHD/DIRECTV. He stated to me that I could use my HR-44 for 4K viewing, i.e., all it needed was a firmware update and it would be good to go. I don't know whether i have a reverse LNB up top....I know that it was updated last summer to a 5 LNB dish. I also have read that the HR-44 was fine for just recorded 4k-not live....any comments?

Yes, the Hr44 is fine for recorded 4K content.

I have the HR44 and a Sony 930C. I just called Directv and had them activate the RVU as a client.

Works fine. But I'm ready to upgrade to the HR54 as soon as I watch a few more recorded things on the 44.

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Yes, the Hr44 is fine for recorded 4K content.

I have the HR44 and a Sony 930C. I just called Directv and had them activate the RVU as a client.

Works fine. But I'm ready to upgrade to the HR54 as soon as I watch a few more recorded things on the 44.
Having a little trouble understanding this concept. I have an HR44 and a 4K Visio display. What new, if any equipment do I need?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Having a little trouble understanding this concept. I have an HR44 and a 4K Visio display. What new, if any equipment do I need?
fast explanation
4k tv must be hooked up via rvu or c61k

live 4k requires an hr54 and reverse band lnb to feed the above

recorded 4k can be downloaded onto a 54 or 44 and fed to the above

THERE IS NO GENIE THAT OUTPUTS 4K VIA HDMI

Reactions: markrubin

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
If someone would like to PM me a nice, detailed DirecTV 4K FAQ, I'll edit it in to the first post of the thread and we can all simply direct newbies to post #1. I'll probably delete the rest of that post as it's kind of outdated.

So.. anything else that should be in there.. PM it to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Reverse Band DLNB DOES NOT required!

fast explanation

here we go again ....

NO ! Reverse Band DLNB DOES NOT required. [perhaps it will after September .. which year ? NoBODY know.]

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
here we go again ....

NO ! Reverse Band DLNB DOES NOT required. [perhaps it will after September .. which year ? NoBODY know.]
true
but from my experience with dish and directv
get everything done at the initial install.
if not any changes can cost you.

so, the reverse band is available, and is being installed for 4k, so take it.
no one knows when dtv will require it, better to have it and not need it

edit: the newer 5d2 rblnf is in testing, so i imagine once that one is approved they can begin the switchover.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
If someone would like to PM me a nice, detailed DirecTV 4K FAQ, I'll edit it in to the first post of the thread and we can all simply direct newbies to post #1. I'll probably delete the rest of that post as it's kind of outdated.

YES...YES...Not only Newbies. For people like me (been around for awhile trying to understand/learn the next must-have technology) who don't quite understand it and get confused & lost trying to go back and reread and then just give up because the thread is so full of this & that.

·
Registered
839 Posts

That would be great! as suggested, I went back to posts around March 1, and started re-reading, going forward, the whole DIRECTV/4K thing seems convoluted.........

Reactions: HuskerHarley

·
Super Moderator
21,324 Posts
I am thinking of a fresh start

a new DirecTV II thread: this one has 423 pages and is long in the tooth

and the first post of the new thread will contain an updated FAQ that will finally, once and for all deal with several issues that keeping coming up...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I am thinking of a fresh start

a new DirecTV II thread: this one has 423 pages and is long in the tooth

and the first post of the new thread will contain an updated FAQ that will finally, once and for all deal with several issues that keeping coming up...
Please post a LINK in this thread if one is created.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
yes: would close this one and provide link to new
Why not leave this one open and link people to the new D*4K thread? I come to this thread for DirecTV information other than 4K. Maybe combine them in the future, but for now why clutter up a new thread with non-4K info? In a short amount of time people will know which thread to go to. JMO.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
fast explanation

My order shows a 4K Genie mini which I believe will be the C61K, so I don't think your last statement is accurate. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
My order shows a 4K Genie mini which I believe will be the C61K, so I don't think your last statement is accurate. Correct me if I'm wrong.
a genie is a dvr, hr54/hr44/hr34. they each have 5 tuners and do all the work. they will work without any other unit

a mini genie is a slave/client unit that will not work without a genie
it has no tuner, just uses the feeds/dvr/ect from the main genie.
no main genie, and its just a paperweight.

16901 - 16920 of 16937 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.