AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
16921 - 16937 of 16937 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
a genie is a dvr, hr54/hr44/hr34. they each have 5 tuners and do all the work. they will work without any other unit

a mini genie is a slave/client unit that will not work without a genie
it has no tuner, just uses the feeds/dvr/ect from the main genie.
no main genie, and its just a paperweight.
This is right off my Directv order-They call everything a "Genie". They call their HR54 a "Genie HD DVR". The C41W wireless clients are called "Wireless Genie Minis". The C61K is called a "DIRECT 4K Genie Mini".

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
This is right off my Directv order-They call everything a "Genie". They call their HR54 a "Genie HD DVR". The C41W wireless clients are called "Wireless Genie Minis". The C61K is called a "DIRECT 4K Genie Mini".
Genie vs Genie Mini
my explanation was the difference

here is how it would work in a single tv setup

for hd a genie would be connected to the tv, easy peasy

for 4k a genie is connected, then a mini genie is connected.
the genie feeds the mini genie which in turn feed the tv
btw, you pay a fee for the mini and for the genie

as i said there is no 4k genie

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Genie vs Genie Mini
my explanation was the difference

here is how it would work in a single tv setup

for hd a genie would be connected to the tv, easy peasy

for 4k a genie is connected, then a mini genie is connected.
the genie feeds the mini genie which in turn feed the tv
btw, you pay a fee for the mini and for the genie

as i said there is no 4k genie
Well I'm confused. :confused:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
There are 4 types of receivers

1. Receiver - just a signal, has a single tunet (H-25, H-25, ect)
2. DVR - outputs a signal has at 2 tuners (HR-24, HR-21, ect are 2 tuner models)
3. Genie - a special DVR with 5 tuners (HR-34,HR-44, HR-54) also used to feed mini genies
4. mini - client box, no tuners. it must have a genie in order to work. (directv actually calls this a mini genie, but i will just use mini)

each Genie can have up to 8 minis attached to it, but can only feed 3 at a time.
when a mini connects to a genie it uses a tuner, reducing the count of tuners available
to record.

for 4k
an hr-44 can feed on demand 4k to a 4k mini(c61k)
an hr-54 can feed on demand and live 4k to a 4k mini(c61k)

eventually a reverse band lnb will be needed for 4k (when is unknown at this time)

neither and hr-44 or hr-54 can output 4k via hdmi
the only unit that can is the c61k and it must have an hr-44 or hr-54 to feed it the signal

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Ok. I think I understand now. Looks like my confusion was due to most all the hardware bring classified as a "Genie".

·
Registered
837 Posts
There are 4 types of receivers

1. Receiver - just a signal, has a single tunet (H-25, H-25, ect)
2. DVR - outputs a signal has at 2 tuners (HR-24, HR-21, ect are 2 tuner models)
3. Genie - a special DVR with 5 tuners (HR-34,HR-44, HR-54) also used to feed mini genies
4. mini - client box, no tuners. it must have a genie in order to work. (directv actually calls this a mini genie, but i will just use mini)

each Genie can have up to 8 minis attached to it, but can only feed 3 at a time.
when a mini connects to a genie it uses a tuner, reducing the count of tuners available
to record.

for 4k
an hr-44 can feed on demand 4k to a 4k mini(c61k)
an hr-54 can feed on demand and live 4k to a 4k mini(c61k)

eventually a reverse band lnb will be needed for 4k (when is unknown at this time)

neither and hr-44 or hr-54 can output 4k via hdmi
the only unit that can is the c61k and it must have an hr-44 or hr-54 to feed it the signal
Finally, a ray of light....I now understand this madness; thanks for that post.

I just had a DIRECTV service guy over for another issue (lost playlist/SWM failure on a a newly replaced DVR); in passing conversations, the technician was adamant that i needed an HR-54 (I have an hr-44) for 4K, a reverse LNB (which he showed me), a c61k client....I said i didn't think i needed all that with my Sony XBR 930D...

Anyways, I indicated that I was fine with my present system, and when more content was available, i would think about the 4k upgrade...
he finished the conversation by saying he agreed, and to wait for the next generation of equipment...

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Finally, a ray of light....I now understand this madness; thanks for that post.

I just had a DIRECTV service guy over for another issue (lost playlist/SWM failure on a a newly replaced DVR); in passing conversations, the technician was adamant that i needed an HR-54 (I have an hr-44) for 4K, a reverse LNB (which he showed me), a c61k client....I said i didn't think i needed all that with my Sony XBR 930D...

Anyways, I indicated that I was fine with my present system, and when more content was available, i would think about the 4k upgrade...
he finished the conversation by saying he agreed, and to wait for the next generation of equipment...
To do linear 4K you WILL need an HR-54. You can substitute an RVU for the C61K as it performs the same functionality. Eventually, you will also need a Reverse Band LNB for 4K. However at this point, you don't need it. I would speculate broadcast 4K will become much more widely available by the end of the year.

·
Registered
837 Posts
To do linear 4K you WILL need an HR-54
That I knew by what I read in this thread (RE: VOD=hr-44)

You can substitute an RVU for the C61K
The DIRECTV technician also told me that, once he knew the 930D is RVU set

Reactions: CCsoftball7

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
To do linear 4K you WILL need an HR-54. You can substitute an RVU for the C61K as it performs the same functionality. Eventually, you will also need a Reverse Band LNB for 4K. However at this point, you don't need it. I would speculate broadcast 4K will become much more widely available by the end of the year.
My understanding is when you do any kind of hardware change/update they will start your 24 month contract all over again. That's why I'm trying to get all the right equipment (HR54,C61K, reverse band LNB) that's currently available upfront to avoid that. I'm hoping they'll pull off some 4K Olympics programming, but we'll see.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
My understanding is when you do any kind of hardware change/update they will start your 24 month contract all over again. That's why I'm trying to get all the right equipment (HR54,C61K, reverse band LNB) that's currently available upfront to avoid that. I'm hoping they'll pull off some 4K Olympics programming, but we'll see.
I updated all my equipment with no contract extension. But, I've been a customer for a long time with the highest package, MLB Extra Innings, and NFL Sunday Ticket.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I updated all my equipment with no contract extension. But, I've been a customer for a long time with the highest package, MLB Extra Innings, and NFL Sunday Ticket.
That's good to hear that they now value long time subscribers. I left Directv 7.5 years ago for Uverse because after 12 years of service (started Directv service in 1996-Installed my own dish and cables they were so new) they wouldn't do squat for me to upgrade my equipment to HD. They were offering great deals for new subscribers, but wanted me to pay full price for all the hardware to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
That's good to hear that they now value long time subscribers. I left Directv 7.5 years ago for Uverse because after 12 years of service (started Directv service in 1996-Installed my own dish and cables they were so new) they wouldn't do squat for me to upgrade my equipment to HD. They were offering great deals for new subscribers, but wanted me to pay full price for all the hardware to upgrade.
it varies as to what people are offered.
CSR roulette is the game of the day.
if you dont get something call back and try again

Reactions: RDalton

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
it varies as to what people are offered.
CSR roulette is the game of the day.
if you dont get something call back and try again
Believe me, I tried at least 10 times. But that was 7.5 years ago. And moving to Uverse put $400 in my pocket with no contract at all. (They were new at the time and making great deals)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
aaahh, yeah, atm i have 2 choices, dish or directv
used to have dish, may again someday

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
16921 - 16937 of 16937 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.