AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which satellite for Directv is actually responsible for Hidef signals? Is it the 119? Did anyone have problems yesterday with receiving signals from that satellite? I recently had my syustem installed and I want to try to find if it was a installer problem or related to the actual satellite. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
DirecTV's HD signal comes from satellite 119. Last night I watched the Sopranos and Band of Brothers on HBO HD and had two split second "pauses" in the picture during BOB. Otherwise, I had no problems.

SMK

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't know that this is what might have caused problems for you, but... We're in the part of the year where the sun is directly behind the satellite. This varies by part of the country and time of day (of course). Here in Atlanta, I've heard that we could expect outages on 119 around 4:00 PM that last about 5 minutes or so. This information came from a fellow DirecTV enthusiast, not an official word from DirecTV. So, I'm going by what he said.

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have had Directv for at least 8 years and have never seen that happen. Usually that is a C-band Phenomena. Ku band does not get affected by the sun alignment.

P Joy

------------------

HDjunky

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is that I am getting no signal from that satellite. When doing a scan on the transponders, I either get NA or zero. I had taken a look at the the way the dish was installed. The elevation is at 50 meanwhile accoriding to the position finder on the menu, it states that my position should be at 33.4. Would this be the possible problem. I currently recieve all my movie stations and local tv. What should I do or check????

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have personally seen a couple of instances of "sun problems" with my DirecTV, and they even go to the trouble of telling you about this at the time (something along the lines of "you may experience temporary outages due to interference from the sun")....

This doesn't sound like a sun problem, however, but more like a positioning or equipment problem? I almost wonder if you have your dish positioned so you are catching the "regular" satellite off the wrong side of the dish, and those are totally mispointed to catch the 119. You might want to check the pointing direction in general. I don't know how big an effect just having the elevation set low might have.

I'm sure there are some extreme experts on this forum that could speak to all of this, and perhaps tell you how to definitively diagnose your problem. Anyone, anyone...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The sun will NEVER be directly behind the satellite from where you live at night. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

But if you do a websearch for "satellite sun outage" you'll see sites that let you calculate the time when a sun outage for a specific satellite will occur in your area.

------------------

HiDefDave

[This message has been edited by David McRoy (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not receive any signal from the 119 sat when using the strength meter on the box. Besdides HI def from 119 what else should I be recieving from that satellite?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Rod2750,

Which DirecTV receiver are you using? Did the installer install an eliptical 18" by 24" dish with 2 dual-LNBs?

------------------

HiDefDave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am using the Mitsubishi SR 5 with the 18 x 24 dish direct tv plus dish. The dish has LNB's in the 101 and 119 slot. The 101 sat averages 92 on signal strength on all transponders. The 119 sat either comes up NA on the transponders or a signal strength of zero. The only visible things that I can notice are that the elevation according to my dish pointer should be 34.9. But the installer actually set it at 50.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was watching Golf yesterday afternoon on DirecTV and the signal was starting to break up. I then got a message on the Screen about Sun causing break up and the signal should be back in a few minutes.

The message was from DirecTV.

George

·
Registered
599 Posts
Solar flares and sunspots cause the problem

They send out EM pulses that interfere with KU frequency's

------------------

Studio Broadcast Engineer

KET

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The satellite is hooked up to a multiswitch box which feeds two receivers. You are saying to just plug the feed from the 119 lnb to my mitsu box? If that does not produce a signal , wouldn't it be most likely that either I have a bad LNB or the dish is not pointed correctly? Besides HD signals, what other programing would I receive from the 119 signal?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Rod,

The other programming on the 119 sat is the preminum movie channels like HBO, Showtime, etc.

You have to make sure that in the menu you have choosen the "OVAL" dish as opposed to the "ROUND" dish.

That is the first thing to check. The others are:

1. Multiswitch - take the 119 feed from the LNB and attach it to the STB - do you get a 119 signal?

2. LNB - same test as above

3. Alignment - if the above two tests produce nothing than it might be time to call the installer back to re-align the dish.

Lee

·
Registered
943 Posts
Also, it could be your multiswitch or one of the cables. Be sure you are using rg6 cable. You can run a new rg6 cable directly from the 119 lnb thru the window to your receiver and check for a signal. If no signal then check rhe 110 lnb for signal. Then let us know the results.

Jerry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do receive the premium movie stations on my satellite. I even get descriptions for channels 509 and 199 but no picture. So if I am getting the movie channels, I should be able to get the HD channels ( theoretically ) I have my dish type selected as oval type 2. Is there something in my mitsu SD 5 that I have set incorrectly?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LeeAntin:
Rod,

The other programming on the 119 sat is the preminum movie channels like HBO, Showtime, etc.

Lee
Lee, I got all the HBO channels on my old receiver with a single-satellite dish, which I assume pointed to 101. Art

[This message has been edited by artshotwell (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
54 Posts
I believe channel 400 is the test channel for the 119 sat. I think it's the info channel for Para Todos. Besides the HD channels, most of the Spanish chanels starting at 400 and going to about 440 are all on the 119. I'd check alignment, LNB, then Switch. Two different professional installers that I know personally have said that many of the oval dish set-ups come with a faulty LNB. Lastly if this doesn't work, check placement, even though you may get the 101, an obstruction could be blocking the 119 signal & not the 101.

Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.