AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many RG6 cables should I run from where my dish is to my equipment closet is to be future-ready for the Directv HMC? Should I run any other types of cables?

~Josh

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Good question, no solid details available on it last time I checked, the rumor is it will use RG-6 to connect the clients to the HMC...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found this a few days ago...not sure if it answers your question. But I would guess at least four, as there are four receivers in the HMC. Or 8 if you network two HMC's together.

http://www.dtvmax.com/main.htm

"As reported in the Feb. 2005 update, Directv is moving forward with plans to migrate and greatly expand their HD services using the 4 new satellites they have scheduled for launch over the next 2 years. The first of those satellites is planned for launch in late April or early May 2005. The 12 largest U.S. market areas (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Detroit, Houston and Tampa) will be offered local HDTV channels via the new satellite starting this fall with new HD services expanding to national coverage by sometime in 2007. Also as reported earlier, although Directv will continue offer individual set top receivers they will encourage customers to move away from individual receiver boxes and toward the use of a Home Media Center (HMC) box with a build-in digital video recorder (DVR). The HMC should be available in late 2005. Some unofficial information has leaked out on the configuration of the HMC and the associated client boxes (one at each TV). The Directv HMC will incorporated 4 satellite receivers (all HD capable) along with two over-the-air TV tuners (also HD capable but not digital cable ready). Up to 4 programs can be recorded simultaneously onto the unit's large capacity hard drive (something around 400 to 500GB). A client box will be required at each TV. Both a standard definition and a high definition version of the client boxes will be offered (or perhaps only a single type of client box that handles both SD and HD TVs). The client boxes can be connected to the HMC via either coax cable (e.g., RG-6) or via a Cat-5e or Cat-6 Ethernet cable. At any one time 4 of the client boxes can be in use to control and HMC's digital video recorder (DVR) functions and will operate as if each of these has it own DVR. TVs connected to additional client boxes (i.e, beyond the first 4) will be more limited in what they can view. Two HMCs can be networked together to double the capabilities thus allow recording or playback of up to 8 programs simultaneously and up to 8 clients can each operate the DVR functions (or view live broadcast). A new satellite dish will be required and 4 coax lines are required to be connected between the dish and the HMC, plus one additional coax line into the media server is needed if you want to connect to for over-the-air reception. Directv will offer a trade-in credit for the customer's current equipment. Preliminary indications are Directv will offer to replace their customer's current Directv HD receivers with a new standalone HD receiver or offer a credit toward a HMC and client HD box.. If you have a HD Directv TiVo then they will offer to move you over to the new HMC plus one (or perhaps 2) HD client box. As reported previously, Directv is moving away from the use of TiVo and the HMC will not be based on TiVo software for the DVR functions. Official announcements on the specifics of the upgrade program are not expected before mid-year. "

·
Registered
190 Posts
They will probably go wireless next year also. so I'd just run what you need now.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Be careful about the wireless - if at all possible, I'd want to use wired connections even if the wireless were available. Bulletproof versus works most of the time...

·
Registered
228 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I think the short answer to your question is a total of 5 RG6.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Right...four from the dish and one for OTA..

Craig

·
Registered
228 Posts
Actually I thought it was that the dish was going to have 5 LNB's, so would it be 6 if you are including OTA? Again, I thought I had read this elsewhere. No OTA available here in the sitcks, so I wasn't even considering that.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Oy. I'll ask the guy installing the current stuff in my new house on labor day. I doubt he'd know either, but it's worth a shot. So 6 to be safe?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pollo
Oy. I'll ask the guy installing the current stuff in my new house on labor day. I doubt he'd know either, but it's worth a shot. So 6 to be safe?
6 should be good to have a spare, keep in mind the current dish only has 3 LNB's and 4 outputs, the number of LNB's has nothing to do with it, it's the number of outputs the built in multiswitch has. Last I saw it was 4 outputs on the new dish just like the current one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah I guess five LNB's on a dish would be a little bulky. But then again, if there weren't going to be more LNB's, why would you need a new dish? Is the dish itself going to be larger? Do the old LNB's not support the Ka band that they'll be using on the new sats? Just asking these questions out loud, very curious now myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.