AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HR20-700 that I got when they were first released so I've had it for a while.

Over the past month the hard drive has started making clicking noises that sound like the hard drive is being re-indexed.

When the hard drive is clicking and I am watching a show the picture and sound will freeze for about a half second several times every minute.

I very rarely watch live tv and have mainly noticed this on recorded shows.

Some days are worse than others but overall I've noticed that the problem is increasing in frequency. I've noticed it does not matter what channel it's on and the weather outside doesn't matter....it has been clear and also rainy.

I'm wondering if the hard drive is going bad or if there is something I can do to fix the problem. I don't really want to give up my HR20-700 since I like the ability to be able to record OTA programs.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

· Banned
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelber /forum/post/18121615

I have an HR20-700 that I got when they were first released so I've had it for a while.

Over the past month the hard drive has started making clicking noises that sound like the hard drive is being re-indexed.

When the hard drive is clicking and I am watching a show the picture and sound will freeze for about a half second several times every minute.

I very rarely watch live tv and have mainly noticed this on recorded shows.

Some days are worse than others but overall I've noticed that the problem is increasing in frequency. I've noticed it does not matter what channel it's on and the weather outside doesn't matter....it has been clear and also rainy.

I'm wondering if the hard drive is going bad or if there is something I can do to fix the problem. I don't really want to give up my HR20-700 since I like the ability to be able to record OTA programs.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Apparently it is quite easy to replace the hard drive:

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57427

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is the clicking hard drive with freezing images a sign of a hard drive going bad? Just want to make sure that there couldn't be any other things it could be.

Didn't know if there was a way to defrag the drive. I think I read somewhere in one of the threads that there was a way to reset or wipe all the data from the drive while still leaving the operating system intact. I didn't know if maybe some corrupt data could be on the drive that's making the HR20 act funny.

It almost seems as though the picture is freezing briefly as if the HR20's processor is busy doing some internal housekeeping or something.

· Registered
17,845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadmaa /forum/post/18121639

Apparently it is quite easy to replace the hard drive:

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57427

I actually just did. Here's the lowdown, with photos:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post18046150

This method will not allow you to keep recordings, but you may not want to if the drive is failing since they are likely goofed up anyway. Toward the end, I was getting a lot of partial recordings and zero duration ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.