AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We hate our HR21, ever since it replaced our old Directv DVR, which I believe was MPEG2.

The HR21 is so slow it kills me to use sometimes. and the lack of 2 tuners that are easy to switch back and forth are just a couple of annoying things with this box.

Does anyone know of any other options that directv has? I am thinking of calling them to cancel my service and see what they offer.

My friend has FIOS and it reminded me how easy it should be to switch between channels.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
With DirecTV, you are currently limited to their HR20-HR23 DVRs. The DirecTV HR21/HR22/HR23 feature the same CPU, memory, and software. The discontinued HR20 uses an older CPU with more memory bandwidth, so it tends to be a more responsive.

DirecTV is expected to release a new and improved (i.e. faster) DVR platform late this year or early next. This new DirecTV DVR platform will be available with the customer's choice of the DirecTV or TiVo DVR software, although not necessarily at the same time or the same price.

The FiOS DVR is better for channel surfing, but their guide data isn't nearly as comprehensive or accurate as what you get with DirecTV. DVRs depend on guide data to record, so as a consequence, the FiOS DVR isn't nearly as reliable in recording new episodes and ignoring repeats. Furthermore, the FiOS DVR is limited to 160GB (20 HD hours) and does not support any form of internal or external expansion. If you want reliable recording and/or greater capacity with FiOS, you've currently got to buy a TivoHD or Moxi.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I understand there is pluses and minuses to all boxes.

I just can't stand how slow this one is to react sometimes.

I just went to rewind a live show, and it takes way too long to react.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am not in the DBS cutting edge group, but my brother is. I understand from him the the CE releases are much faster. There supposedly is a new national release coming and maybe that will be faster.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkinil /forum/post/16998734

I am not in the DBS cutting edge group, but my brother is. I understand from him the the CE releases are much faster. There supposedly is a new national release coming and maybe that will be faster.

And dual buffers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.