AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning; haven't posted in a while. I've done a search this morning and can't find a specific answer for my question:

I have a Directv HR22 DVR. I know that I have to use the esata interface to install an external hard drive but my question goes past that. I have a combination VCR/DVD (HD) player plus Directv in my RV but no DVR. The combo player has USB capabilities for playing movies/shows recorded on an external h/drive or zip drive. I've found an external h/drive, 1 TB, that I like and it has both esata and usb interfaces. Can I record from the HR22 using the esata interface and then connect it to the combo player with the usb and expect it work? Does something recorded via esata have to be retrieved by esata?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
No, the DirecTV boxes use a proprietary format and your VCR/DVD player will not be able to access the recordings (it probably won't even recognize the hard drive).

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/18286709

No, the DirecTV boxes use a proprietary format and your VCR/DVD player will not be able to access the recordings (it probably won't even recognize the hard drive).

Actually, it's not exactly proprietary; the filesystem it uses is actually SGI's XFS (yes, the D* DVRs run Linux) with some unusual features enabled. But all the recordings are encrypted, so plugging the drive into something else, even if it understood the filesystem (unlikely) would just yield lots of unreadable encrypted files.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo /forum/post/18287504

Actually, it's not exactly proprietary; the filesystem it uses is actually SGI's XFS (yes, the D* DVRs run Linux) with some unusual features enabled. But all the recordings are encrypted, so plugging the drive into something else, even if it understood the filesystem (unlikely) would just yield lots of unreadable encrypted files.

I realize that I was just trying to keep it simple. I wanted to give more information than just saying "No", but didn't feel like getting too in depth. I figured if he wanted more info after my initial response then I would expand upon it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts