Registered
1,992 Posts
Working for me.

I did have to flip away (fox 4k) then back to that USC game

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,950 Posts
Is everyone else's 4K Notre Dame game having audio/video trouble or is it just me? I've rebooted my C61k, but the problems remain. I just rebooted the HR54 yesterday :(
I am getting screen breakup/pixelation, and the occasional black screen. Disappointing. The Florida/LSU game looks OK to me as well.

Reactions: Sharp1080

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
105 - Notre Dame game/NBC - getting the pixelation and black screen dropouts as others have noted. Main 50 yard cam not up to par, looks kinda grainy. Not as good as previous ND games in 4K. Is there any technical info on what cameras NBC is using on these games?

106 - MLB/Fox - best looking baseball game I've ever seen - I believe it's an upconvert with 1080p cameras? Replays are sharp and not grainy. Maybe something a little bit off with the frame rate? I notice it mainly when there's a closeup of the batter swinging the bat up and down waiting for the next pitch, the bat motion isn't smooth, like frames are skipped. (no, this is not the infamous C61K frame skipping issue, the broadcast is otherwise fine)

107 - ESPN - wow, this is spectacular - best looking football game I've ever seen - the overhead camera on a string appears to be 4K and sharp. The main 50 yard cam looks great. Only complaint is the replays are soft and grainy. Kudos to ESPN, they raised the bar and have set a new standard!

109 - FS1 - Nebraska game - looks like an upconvert - main 50 yard cam is not very sharp, looks soft overall.

Now can I start bitching about why I can't record four 4K programs simultaneously on the HR54? :D

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The ESPN game looks phenomenal. This is what football is supposed to look like.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I disagree some of there camera angles look bad on the ESPN game

My opinion FOX sports 4k events look the best ...

On the Nebraska fox sports 4k game its snowing and it looks amazing in 4K HDR

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The NBC 4K broadcast is having a lot.of issue for me

Lots of black screens

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I disagree some of there camera angles look bad on the ESPN game

My opinion FOX sports 4k events look the best ...

On the Nebraska fox sports 4k game its snowing and it looks amazing in 4K HDR

Fox has always looked good in 4k, but its also very apparent ESPN is using some very good 4k equipment for this game. Looks great.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'm not saying ESPN looks bad but some.of camera angles are not good

I personally rate the Nebraska game #1 in PQ

The Disney broadcast does look good tho ...

Reactions: wmoss35

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I would rate them in this order, best to worst:

LSU/Florida
Nebraska/Minnesota
ALCS
Notre Dame/LSU

Have to give ESPN props for the broadcast and the number of 4K cameras they are using.
Agree with this one. I love how we are all debating which of the 4 LIVE 4k games look the best. Never thought we would see the day, lol

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
They all look like garbage to me... Just kidding! Lol I'll start with the best... The Florida vs LSU game is just spectacular. Even the movement of the players seems more natural than any of the 4K upconverts.

The bad, Notre Dame vs USC. I had to stop watching. And I'm a Notre Dame fan. Horrible pixelation, and the first quarter was mostly a black screen with just audio.

I didn't watch much of the Yankees vs Astros, but what I did check out looked good.

As someone else mentioned, what a great night for 4K sports, to have this much content. I hope this continues, and I hope we see more native 4K.

·
Registered
413 Posts
LSU / Florida game only has stereo audio (HD broadcast is 5.1). The USC / Notre Dame game is Dolby Atmos (when it isn’t glitching out). Nebraska / Minnesota is 5.1.

Pretty amazing that there are 4 live sports broadcasts in 4K simultaneously.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
LSU / Florida game only has stereo audio (HD broadcast is 5.1). The USC / Notre Dame game is Dolby Atmos (when it isn’t glitching out). Nebraska / Minnesota is 5.1.

Pretty amazing that there are 4 live sports broadcasts in 4K simultaneously.
I have Dolby Atmos for the LSU Florida 4K broadcast.

uploadfromtaptalk1570935256825.jpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine says that too, but it is only sending DD+ 2/0 to the receiver:
I noticed this as well. I was not getting any sound from the rears during the LSU/Florida 4k broadcast. While the HD broadcast had 5.1. I read that ESPN's 4k broadcast was supposed to have Dolby Atmos sound so not sure what happened.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I meant to quote Dr Don also: "Not to quibble, but - outside of enthusiasts such as us - not enough people will flock to view a sporting event just because it's in 4k to move the ratings needle enough to justify a hike in ad prices. It's the same total number of viewers with a handful viewing in 4k. Can't make any more money through advertising as it's that total number they sell. Therefore, the expense of the 4k production must be recovered some other way, such as backing from set manufacturers or providers such as AT&T."

For a large-scale rollout, MPVDs have to have the bandwidth to carry the channel and customer equipment that can display it. Additionally, those MPVDs have to be able to absorb higher carriage fees as the networks offering the option are most certainly going to want additional income for their effort.

There'll only be an "explosion" of 4K live sports if there's money to be made from doing it or money to be lost from NOT doing it. Neither condition is in play, yet.

Such a spoilsport! Not to disagree with all of your logic but I often tuned into a 4K football game I wasn't interested in just because it was in 4K. Like tonight's Florida/LSU game.
I remember similar arguments being made when HD was rolling out. Live sports drives the 18-49 lucrative advertising market (a small increase in viewership = big$ with network TV) and they grew up with very high resolution phones and devices. The jury is still out but ESPN/Disney getting involved is a tell sign. I predict sports will tip the scales.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
I remember similar arguments being made when HD was rolling out. Live sports drives the 18-49 lucrative advertising market (a small increase in viewership = big$ with network TV) and they grew up with very high resolution phones and devices. The jury is still out but ESPN/Disney getting involved is a tell sign. I predict sports will tip the scales.
Of course it will be sports.

If not for the very expensive sports packages, the broadcast networks viewership would plummet.

The best TV programming is now on cable. Sports, particularly the NFL, is what keeps the broadcast networks relevant now.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Of course it will be sports.

If not for the very expensive sports packages, the broadcast networks viewership would plummet.

The best TV programming is now on cable. Sports, particularly the NFL, is what keeps the broadcast networks relevant now.
When i said networks i was referring to TV networks OTA, cable or satellite; not Apps like Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime-some of whom are dabbling in sports now.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
When i said networks i was referring to TV networks OTA, cable or satellite; not Apps like Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime-some of whom are dabbling in sports now.

Right but in the context of discussion about sports, only the broadcast networks have NFL deals. That may change in the future but for now, if NFL games are going to bring about mass adoption of 4K (like it did for HD), it will be the broadcast networks having to produce 4K broadcasts of the games.

Maybe Google, Facebook or Amazon will outbid the broadcast networks when the next NFL TV contract is due but it won't be cheap because for Fox, CBS or NBC, it's almost an existential threat to lose the NFL.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
is everyone else's 4k notre dame game having audio/video trouble or is it just me? I've rebooted my c61k, but the problems remain. I just rebooted the hr54 yesterday /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif
i am getting screen breakup/pixelation, and the occasional black screen. Disappointing. The florida/lsu game looks ok to me as well.
“just okay is not okay...at&t”

5501 - 5520 of 6388 Posts