AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does Directv imbed their receivers in some HDTV sets? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there only (1) one channel , HBO in HiDef. Are they planning on adding more or is that 1 channel supposed to put me over the edge when I am in a buying mood?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
There are two HDTV channels on DirecTV at this time:

Ch 199 is PPV movies from midnight to 6 am est and a demo loop the rest of the time.

Ch 509 is HBO-HD, which is about 50-60% native HDTV movies and series.

But the idea with the DirecTV receiver inside, is that you also get access to all the other standard DirecTV channels, along with your local DTV/HDTV & analog stations. It offers no real advantage at this time, it's just another way for RCA to sell their boxes.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
But the idea with the DirecTV receiver inside, is that you also get access to all the other standard DirecTV channels, along with your local DTV/HDTV & analog stations. It offers no real advantage at this time, it's just another way for RCA to sell their boxes.
It's actually a way for DirecTV to expand their sales. I assume they subsidize the addition of the DirecTV receiver in the hopes new buyers will subscribe to increasingly expensive satellite services.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.