AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Directv is available in all countries? I live in Korea now and miss my DTV - can anyone point me in the right direction or offer up some advice?

Thanks!!!

Ryan

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
No can do bud - you can't see the satellite. Look into the local offerings.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
When I lived in Korea, the only terrestrial station available at the time was AFKAN the armed forces Korea station in Seoul. I think it was channel 2 and I don't know if it is still there or not. On the post cable was available and had HBO and CNN and a few other US cable stations. I do no that there should be distribution of sat signal to Korea. I suggest that you go with someone that speaks Korean (if you don't speak the language) and go the the electronic district. You may find a Korean sat dealer that could get you hooked up. As suggested look at lyngsat for what is carried on the Asian Sat's.

P

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Ryan,

You're posting in the HDTV section of the site, so I'll presume (perhaps erroneously) that you're interested in HDTV. You should be able to get terrestrial and/or satellite HDTV from the Korean broadcasters. For a bit more money, you may well be able to get HDTV from Japan. Japan has a satellite-based HDTV service called BS (no kidding, that's what it's called. I don't know what the letters stand for.).

The cool thing about Japan's HDTV satellite broadcasts is that most of the movies are in English with Japanese subtitles. You should be able to get movies in HD that aren't available in the US. These are often movies that aren't available in the US in HD. Pretty cool if high quality movies are what you want. Unfortunately, if you want DirecTV for the football or basketball packages, I don't know if we can help you. The Korean peninsula is way outside of the area of coverage for the US geostationary orbit slots that DirecTV and Dish Network own. Way. I think the Japanese stations might carry some Seattle Mariners and New York Yankees baseball games due to the prominent Japanese players who now play for these American teams. Nonetheless, I don't think you'll get the full DirecTV Sunday Ticket any time soon in Korea.

There is a Korean HD enthusiast who posts from time to time on AVS Forum. I really wish I could remember his name. Do a search on this forum and you'll learn a little bit about the feasibility of getting Japanese BS broadcasts in Korea.

Welcome to AVS Forum and have a great time in your assignment/job in Korea. Hope we can be of help!

Jim

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Japan has a satellite-based HDTV service called BS (no kidding, that's what it's called. I don't know what the letters stand for.).
BS stands for Broadcast Satellite. Just remember that to receive Japanese satellite you will need Japanese equipment which is all in Japanese and is grey market in Korea plus dish is quite big.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.