Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Everyone.

My son's left for med school and is renting a house in Philadelphia. I have TC Premier in my home on Long Island. I'm getting ready to have DirecTV installed there for him. At my home on Long Island, I have a Series 2 DVR, a Samsung 160 HDTV receiver, and 4 Ultimate TVs for a total of 6 receivers. I also have 5 other receivers boxes, including a couple of plain set top boxes. My son will have two receivers, and he'll have TC Premier, too.

In checking some info, I see he'll get the Phila locals. It looks like the NY locals spot beam covers as far as Phila. Can I give him one of my units, so he can get the NY locals? He'd really prefer to have access to "hometown" news. If I did this with one of the units at his place, he'd be able to watch Phila locals on one unit and NY on the other. I realize the transplanted unit couldn't dial in because of the different number.

I'm not looking to steal anything here. Between the two homes, my monthly fee will be over $225 a month. His service in Phila will be the same level as mine, except for the number of receivers, the HDTV, and UTV. I searched the forums and couldn't find this info.

TIA,

Kevin

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I don't see a problem with it. You are paying for service and its the same package, the only difference is the locals. I say go ahead with it. Just remeber not to plug it in and you will be fine.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Corey140
Just remeber not to plug it in and you will be fine.
But, Corey, if I don't plug it in, won't it be tough to watch TV? :D

I know what you meant. Thanks, I'll keep the phone line unplugged!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know if the NY locals spot beam will work in Phila? From what I understand, the NY locals cover a larger area than most of the other locals.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Corey.

It looks like a lot of beams overlap, so DTV must program something with your access to choose which spot beam you can see.

I just ordered the equipment and install for my son. I tried a new online vendor I hadn't used before, ********************* , and they are sensational. Between talking to them last night (Wendy) and today (Robert) they probably spent 45 minutes on the phone with me. They were knowledgeable and extremely pleasant. Prices for new installs are about the same, but they throw in extra perks and really seem like they're glad to do business with you. It was a true pleasure.

Kevin

P.S. Sorry if the above seemed like an ad. I just wanted to pass on a great experience.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yea, the access cards have tiers for different areas. For example here, the local tier blocks out 247 (TBS Superstation) for 17 WTBS. Good luck

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Corey140
Yea, the access cards have tiers for different areas. For example here, the local tier blocks out 247 (TBS Superstation) for 17 WTBS. Good luck
Ahhh, that's what I thought might happen. Otherwise there would be no way to handle overlap areas. That's good. He can have one of my units for the NY locals and hometown news, and his other units can have the Phila locals.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
354 Posts
All should work fine as long as you remember not to purchase any PPV on the unit without the phoneline connected. If the access card has PPV info on it & can't call home, it shuts down access after a time period (30 days?).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, watching. He already knows he can't order PPV (I'm not paying for it). I didn't know the unit shuts down, though. I guess I'll just password protect the PPV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.