AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will getting DirectTV installed tomorrow, this is a first for me for Sat coming from Cable TV. I have a couple questions.

What is considered good signal strength number from the satellite dish?

I am getting a HD-DVR and a standard DVR, are there two connections that go into each device for dual tuner?

What is the time frame to install? All together I am getting 4 boxes 1 HD-DVR 1 DVR and 2 Standard tuners.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 /forum/post/14184212

I will getting DirectTV installed tomorrow, this is a first for me for Sat coming from Cable TV. I have a couple questions.

I am getting a HD-DVR and a standard DVR, are there two connections that go into each device for dual tuner?

What is the time frame to install? All together I am getting 4 boxes 1 HD-DVR 1 DVR and 2 Standard tuners.

Thanks

Having seen so many issues with D* installs, I say this with all honesty - expect nothing - then anything will be above your expectations.

If the installers actually show up - you'l be ahead of your expectations.

Your signal levels will vary depending on the transponder (Conus or Spotbeam) and your location, not to mention Ka or Ku band. The closer you get 100 on most of the channels, the better.

Overall, with your 4 boxes, as 2 are DVRs, you have in effect 6 connections needed. They will need to use a Multiswitch for anything over 4 connections that the AU9 Slimline normal outputs.

You could be given a normal 8 position Multiswitch which will need 2 coax connections to each DVR - or possibly a SWM (though unlikely) which would only require one connection to the HR21 HD-DVR.

As for time - impossible to tell. Every situation is different.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 /forum/post/14184212

Thanks

You can do yourself one big favor -- call Directv and get the name/telephone number of the company that is doing your install. Call THAT company and ask where you are in the queue AND confirm what equipment is listed for installation.

Timeframe for the install, as mentioned by a previous post, is highly dependent on your unique situation: location of dish compared to location of receivers will be a big part of the time to install, since the cable must be routed to the proper location.

Also, some installers will do a quick & dirty (aka cheap & sloppy) installation by running cables along/across your roof from the dish (assuming its up there) to the location of the multiswitch. Then the cables need to go from the multiswitch to the individual receivers. Just let the installer know that you want a professional, clean installation.

I did my original wiring & installation myself 6 years ago for a single-LNB dish. When I upgraded to a 3-LNB and now a 5-LNB dish, all of the internal wiring was already there. The single LNB dish was located low to the ground (for snow removal), but the last 2 dishes are up on the chimney chase over the roof. But since the internal wiring was done, the last 2 installers were glad to only have to do a clean install on the outside of the house.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well D has been installed and all is up and running. The installer come around 8:15 this morning, he was a contractor from Direct Tech Inc in Piscataway NJ. The install went very well, I had the installer give me all the receivers so I could hook them up to the correct tv's he gave me the receivers and as he was installing the Dish and wiring I was installing the receivers. Overall very satisfied with the install, he hid all the wires in my siding, and put blacktop around the dish itself to prevents leaks. He also cleaned up after the install and was very professional. I can say it was a pleasant surprise on how the install went after hearing about install horror stories.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 /forum/post/14193302

Overall very satisfied with the install, he hid all the wires in my siding, and put blacktop around the dish itself to prevents leaks.

You let him drill holes in your roof

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/14196032

You let him drill holes in your roof

I went on the roof to look at the install and it looked fine. I am not sure how he mounted it but everything looked fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts