AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just activated my DirecTV service today, and ordered the local channels for an additional $5. Do these local channels come in with an HDTV signal? Can I watch the HDTV programming like The Tonight Show , using my DirecTV in HDTV format?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Do a search in the forum you will find this question asked many times.

The answer is NO

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Currently, DirecTV offers no local channels in HD. Dish Network offers national feeds of CBS to those who qualify (basically those served by an owned & operated station, outside an affiliate's coverage area or by an affiliate who grants a waiver). ExpressVu offers an HD feed of both CBS & ABC shows. This is a Canandian satellite provider and requires a US location to obtain a Canadian address. If you are near a major city, a DirecTV receiver should get over the air reception of local stations in HD if it has a built in tuner for local stations.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the info! Now, if my Directv receiver doesn't accept over the air reception of local channels, than can I splice the coax cable coming from the dish, and feed it to my "antennae in" connector on the tv, to receive the HDTV signals of local stations?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Vectorz,

Are you sure you have a high def DirecTV receiver? Which model receiver do you have?

Jim

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JimboG,

Yes I'm sure it's HDTV Compatible receiver. It's built into my Scenium 65" HDTV. Watching HDNET, and I can tell for sure that it's HDTV compatible.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Vectorz

You seem to some very basic issues confused. If you want OTA TV, you need a standard TV antenna (inside or roof mount). Your HD sat receiver should have the antenna hooked in to the

"antenna in" input on your receiver, while the sat dish is hooked to your "Sat in" input. DO NOT splice the cable coming from the satellite dish.

You should also take a long look through the FAQ

Good luck

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.