AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone I travel alot for my job and have purchased a residence in Irving/Dallas metro area. So I stay there part time and part time in NY. The problem I am having is that Directv receiver account is linked to my NY address and I am getting the NY locals...anyone know if there is a way to just setup my receiver to get Dallas locals without opening up a whole new directv account? I called and they want $29 a month on a new account which I find completely absurd...any ideas?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yea, you'll have to call & change your physical addy each time you move. I do not know if there is a limit on how many times in a given period they will let you do this; you might have to ask them when you call.

I assume that you are moving your only & all receivers each time you move, correct?

(you understand that you CANNOT have receivers in BOTH places & get the correct locals in both...)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No since i am living in both places part-time i just brought my 1 receiver to TX with me. I guess i'll just get cable or something.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedallas2005 /forum/post/20787581

No since i am living in both places part-time i just brought my 1 receiver to TX with me.

Then technically you are account stacking, which is usually a no-no to discuss on boards like these. (I'm not condoning it one way or another, just an FYI...
)

Since you are in the Dallas area, have you tried any indoor antennas to see if they might work just to get you those locals for your P/T stay?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok forget it... I dont want to account stack. I'll figure out how to actually simply watch tv using the stupid equipment i am paying for. Close of post. NO MORE REPLIES PLEASE.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Wow, settle down there buddy. Dishrich was just letting you know that what you are doing is technically against DirecTVs terms of service and you could possibly get in trouble for it, or your posts here might get deleted.

Now if it really is just you doing this because you are working part time in both blaces then chances are DirecTV won't do anything about it. You probably should avoid hooking your receivers up to the internet in your Dallas residence though. Doing so will bring it to DirecTV's attention that you have receivers active in both cities at the same time. DirecTV is really just trying to avoid stuff like me getting a bunch of receivers activated on my account, and then installing them at my parent's house, sister's house, cousin's house, etc so none of them have to get their own service.

I would suggest if you want to get the local stations in Dallas you look into the AM21 off air tuner. It hooks up to the USB port on H2x or HR2x receivers and allows you to hook up an antenna and receive the local channels OTA. It incorporates them right into the guide and allows you to record them if you are using an HR2x HD-DVR. This only works with the HD receivers and HD-dvrs though. Which model receiver are you using in Dallas?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I don't think DirecTV wants to turn on a set of locals in a town where they don't "recognize" you living in...their system can't handle that. Also, there might be technical issues, such as which sats are carrying your (two) locals, and if any are spot beams.

Your best bet might be to watch locals via an OTA antenna while at the second home.

If the NY locals are not spot beamed, you could still watch them in Texas, if you have the proper set-up of dishes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts