AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the upcoming Directv MPEG-4 upgrade. As we all know, they will be upgrading each DMA in order of rank. Here is my question. Lets say they get to a DMA that only has 1 or 2 locals in HD and they are ranked, lets say #38, but lets say #58 has all 4 locals in HD. Anychance they may skip DMA's and go to the DMA's with the most locals available in HD already? For example I live in Colorado Springs and we will have the 4 major networks in HD by November, I believe we are like #92 on the DMA list, any chance we might get upgraded sooner, since a lot of the DMA's listed before us are not even close to having the 4 major networks in HD?

~Josh

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
It's all about potential customers with some other variables that may shift order slightly. If they add all the HD channels available (total of 2) in DMA #38, they will still be able to eliminate the advantage cable has and will draw more new customers than if they added #58 with 6 HD channels. Capacity isn't a huge issue, but if it becomes an issue, the fewer channels will make the larger market even more attractive.

They aren't looking to add maximum HD channels as much as they are looking to be on equal footing with cable in as many markets as possible - with the largest potential customer base as possible.

·
Super Moderator
18,523 Posts
Josh..

Speaking from a strictly business standpoint, I think the larger market would still get the nod just because there are more potential subscribers. And they could still promise "all of your local HD channels" even though there are only two. What D* is aiming to do is be on the same footing as local cable.

One would hope that, by the time they carry HD LIL to markets 30+, the broadcasters in those markets would all BE broadcasting in HD.

·
Super Moderator
18,523 Posts
Dang it, Panth! Simulpost!!! :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
CPanther is right. The HD isnt even the priority. Its staying even in their largest target DMA's. That is why you WILL see DMA's out of order. Its not because of the HD mix, but rather which markets are higher priority with D*.

I live in Hartford DMA number 28 and we were passed by at least 10-15 other markets before our SD channels converted and we were stuck on 119 at the time single LNB dishes were the majority. So the DMA is a good guide but not necessarily the rollout priority.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Can someone please post the DMA? I looked everywhere and can not find it. I am interested to see where I am on the list. Also does anyone know if places like Oakland are considered San Fransisco or exactly how does that work? One last thing, when these local channels become available will you have to have the MPEG4 box?

·
Super Moderator
18,523 Posts
And, one would hope, by the time they GET to these markets, all of the broadcasterd will BE in HD.

Doc

·
Premium Member
35,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd
Can someone please post the DMA? I looked everywhere and can not find it. I am interested to see where I am on the list. Also does anyone know if places like Oakland are considered San Fransisco or exactly how does that work? One last thing, when these local channels become available will you have to have the MPEG4 box?
Nielsen DMA List , and yes, San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose are all in one DMA. This includes areas like Livermore, Napa and Sonoma County, Morgan Hill, the whole Bay Area.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I guess I'll be waiting a while. Im in #150 with 2 HD Channels (CBS/PBS) although by the time it gets to me it should be 3 if WMDT (ABC) ever decides they want to do HD. D* doesn't offer my locals now and Im guessing they probably wont for a long while.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droford
I guess I'll be waiting a while. Im in #150 with 2 HD Channels (CBS/PBS) although by the time it gets to me it should be 3 if WMDT (ABC) ever decides they want to do HD. D* doesn't offer my locals now and Im guessing they probably wont for a long while.
Not necessarily. If your DMA abuts another DMA and both markets can be covered with the same Spot beam.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droford
I grew up on the Eastern Shore, and am a bit embarassed I had to look up the DMA list to see what DMA you're in.

Good luck with getting those locals on the sat's. It seems that new tech was always slow on the shore. I remember being excited when I got a local dial-up ISP so I didn't have to use a long distance one in Annapolis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.