AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 18" round dishes setup pointing to satellites 101 and 119. I have a multiswitch that has 4 outputs and 4 inputs. For the inputs there are 2 13v and 2 18v inputs. Right now with my DTC-100 I get the 119 channels 509 and 199 fine but im missing some channels from the 101 dish. When I check signal stregnth on the 101 some transponders are at 90 and others are no signal at all. What is the proper way to set this up? Do I run the 119 dish to the 18v and the 101 to the 13v? Please help!

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I need dual LNB's on both dishes? Right now the 119 dish has 1 lnb and the 101 dish has 2. I have one lnb from the 101 dish going directly to a non-hd receiver, all is working fine with that one. I then have the LNB from the 119 sat. going into the 18v sat 1 input then the second lnb from the 101 sat going into the 13v sat 2 input. I guess I might need to have a dual LNB on both dishes? is that correct?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, you need to hook up both outputs from each LNB to the multiswitch. The two voltages are used to switch polarization on the LNB and that is why you are missing channels. My guess is that you are probably missing either the even or the odd transponders.

It's not 2 LNB's on each dish. It's 1 LNB with 2 outputs. Each output gets connected to an input on the multiswitch. The 101 dish gets connected to the Sat A connectors and the 119 dish gets connected to the Sat B connectors.

Then, you connect your receivers to the outputs of the multiswitch. Each receiver gets 1 wire going to it (unless you have a dual-tuner Tivo or UTV that needs 2 of them).

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Actually, I believe it's more technically correct to say that it's two LNB's in a single housing (aka "dual LNB"). Not to be confused with the larger oval dish from DirecTV or the slightly larger Dish 500 dish from Dish Network that actually have TWO such housings, each with two LNB's.

In any event, the switch Greg has is designed to connect to two dishes, each with a dual LNB. Connecting a single LNB to the switch will not, I believe, work.

You might think that if you're just using one receiver that the switch should be able to pick the correct "dish" to use for 101 or 119, but it's more complicated than that, as mentioned above.

You must also set the polarization of the LNB, and that's done by using a different voltage. On the switch you have, the inputs (that go to the dish itself) don't switch voltages -- rather, they lock one of the LNB's on each dish to 13V and one to 18V, and then just internally connect your receiver to the correct LNB depending upon which one the receiver requests. That's what allows them to share the dishes among four receivers. If you leave one of those inputs empty, then you won't get any channels on that polarization.

Dish Network makes a switch (for their receivers) called an SW-21 that would probably do what you want -- merge two single-LNB dishes together for a single receiver. I don't know if there's a comparable DirecTV product, and as I understand it the Dish switches can't be used with DirecTV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.