AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I had an 18x20 dish installed. 2 of the outputs are run to my HD Tivo and the other two are connected to 2 standard Hughes receivers. I want to add another TV; therefore I will need to add a multi switch. I have a few questions regarding a multiswitch and the addition of another standard receiver.

1. I have seen many 5x8 multiswitches. Is there one that is better than others?

2. I know that the 4 coaxs that run from the satellite go to the multiswitch. Does it matter what input they get connected to on the multiswitch or is there a certain order they need to get connected?

3. Should I buy the additional standard receiver from Directv or can I buy one from Ebay? If I buy one from Ebay, is it better to buy one that is brand new and unopened with the access card included?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
1. I’m sure there is, but I don’t know which ones are better. I hear Eagle Aspen Multi-switches mentioned alot though.

2. I don’t think there is a specific order. But if there is, it will tell you where to connect things in the manual.

3 I don’t know about getting one from Ebay, just doesn’t seem wise to me. If you want a really good standard receiver, I recommend the DirecTV (Hughes) D10. It is an excellent receiver and it’s only about $50.

I would have posted some links for you, but I don't have 5 posts yet. :(

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
1. It doesn't matter about the quality if it isn't cascadable. You should look at only those models. The Terk BMS58 is a very popular model.

2. The order doesn't matter to a cascadable switch.

3. Since you already have the HD Tivo, just get an SD model also.

-Robert

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you order a SD Tivo from D* ($99 or 3 payments of $33 on your bill) I think they'll include the needed installation and multiswitch for free.

Of course the free installation may not include running the wires as carefully as you, so you may want to do that first, and have the installer just put on the coax connectors.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by device_node
Installers suck big time. Get the equip and send the installer home. Do the wiring yourself. ;)
I contacted Directv and after many contacts they finally said that the multiswitch will be included free with the installation. I only have to pay the $99 for the SD Tivo. The RG6s are already ran to tthe TV and the only thing that the installer would have to do is cut the cables, attach some connectors and install the multiswitch. Are the installers competent enough to do a quality job on this simple project?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Yes they are. They cut corners when it comes to running wires since that takes the longest. They will be in and out in a few minutes and still get paid for a full install.

-Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.