AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I original posted this thread in the "Home Integration and Distribution" forum.

Here's what my situation looks like:

I've got a Terk Phase III dish with built-in multiswitch/4 outputs. I only pre-wired the house for two lines from the dish to an Eagle Aspen S-4180-GX+ 5x8 multiswitch (in attic) which AFAIK passes the 22khz tone and is cascadable. Now that the walls are up, it would be difficult to run more lines.

I then have 7 lines from the multiswitch to each room jack. I also have a OTA antenna going to the multiswitch, along with diplexers at each room jack. Will this arrangement allow for totally independent tuning for each directv receiver connected in each room?

I'll also add that currently only one of the rooms will need to receive HDTV channels. Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
122 Posts
As I understand it, you must run all 4 cables from the dish to your multiswitch. Not sure of the technical explanation but I think it has something to do with getting all the sats into the multiswitch.

Others with more technical knowledge will chime in I'm sure.

Unfortunately,I think you're going to have to run those other 2 lines.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
The switch is actually sending voltage and tones to the dish. The Sat-A inputs on the switch send 13V DC and 18V DC to the dish to tune in the right and left hand polarized requencies. The Sat-B inputs on the switch send the same voltage along with a 22Khz tone. The tone causes the dishes internal switch to connect to the combined Sat-B and Sat-C LNBs. The voltage works the same as Sat-A.

-Robert

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
The Sat-B inputs on the switch send the same voltage along with a 22Khz tone.
So I will connect my two lines to the sat-b inputs on the eagle aspen multiswitch and hopefully everything will work properly. I'll report back after directv comes and installs the dish over the weekend.

Jeff

·
Registered
198 Posts
You have to run all 4 lines. If you connect the two lines to the sat-B inputs, you will only get 110/119. Each receiver must be able to independently select from 101/H, 101/V, 110/119/H, and 110/119/V, thus four lines.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
You have to run all 4 lines. If you connect the two lines to the sat-B inputs, you will only get 110/119. Each receiver must be able to independently select from 101/H, 101/V, 110/119/H, and 110/119/V, thus four lines.
Does the fact that I will be using a phase III dish in which all four of its outputs are already carrying signals from all three sats make any difference?

Jeff

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffmc
Does the fact that I will be using a phase III dish in which all four of its outputs are already carrying signals from all three sats make any difference?

Jeff
Each of the four outputs can only carry one of the four feeds at a time. One of 101/H, 101/V, 110/119/H or 110/119/V can be carrired over the coax at a time, not all four.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Each of the four outputs can only carry one of the four feeds at a time. One of 101/H, 101/V, 110/119/H or 110/119/V can be carrired over the coax at a time, not all four.
Keven T,

OK, now I understand. :cool:

ADent, thanks for the link....I'll look into stacking if running more lines is too difficult.

Jeff

·
Registered
332 Posts
If the dish has a built-in multiswitch. You can not use that eagle-aspen multiswitch since your LNB's are already combined. You should just run the four lines from the dish directly to each sat. receiver. Or change the dish to one without a built-in multiswitch since the powered eagle-aspen is much better (and has 8 receiver outputs instead of 4) than the un-powered switch built-in to the dish.

I have many fewer rain-fades when I installed the eagle-apen in place of my unpowered rca mutiswitch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
If the dish has a built-in multiswitch. You can not use that eagle-aspen multiswitch since your LNB's are already combined. You should just run the four lines from the dish directly to each sat. receiver. Or change the dish to one without a built-in multiswitch since the powered eagle-aspen is much better (and has 8 receiver outputs instead of 4) than the un-powered switch built-in to the dish.
Actually, the switch I'm using (S-4180-GX+) does work with the phase III dishes with the built in multiswitches (at least, I know it works with the Terk dish). Directv installed the dish over the weekend.

I now have four lines from the dish to the multiswitch and the signal is 90-95 on all three sats. For testing purposes I got four receivers going at the same time with the signal meter test, each tuned to transponders on 101/H, 101/V, 110/119/H and 110/119/V at the same time and it worked great.

Jeff

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wow, the Eagle-Aspen is even better than I thought. I stand corrected. I did not think that it would pass the 22kHz signal. But you still have an extra multi-switch in the equation which may degrade your signal quality. I would still replace the dish for one without a built in multiswitch to make it less prone to rain-fade. You might go from 90-95 to 95-100 in signal strength.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.