AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.. So I'm moving into a new apartment in 2 weeks and I've decided to go with Directv for programming and all that ..

Heres my question...

What I want to do is get the directv all setup for hdtv.. although i'm not planning on getting an hdtv set top box right away (me and the wife have agreed to hold off for a bit) but I don't want to have to get a new sat all done once I do get my set top box...

What is the best route of me doing this.. Also.. will they install it for me in my apartment or will I be left to figuring out some setup. I've got one facing the southern sky so all good in that respect..

Also I read about people getting Directv to give money off your bill for people activating a directv reciever. . any chance they'll do this for me (it would mean i could get the set top box NOW instead of later) especially considering Cox has hdtv cable in there area I'll be living...

THanks in advance!

·
Registered
856 Posts
The DirecTV movers hotline has a decent deal if you are an existing customer. If you are new, then DirecTV usually has good deals on free installation and a free dish (sometimes with a free receiver or two, but never a free HDTV type receiver). If you tell them that you want to receive the HDTV channels and that you may need Para Todos (even if you don't) they should offer the free 24"x18" dish ... just be sure to get all three LNB's included. If the person doing the installation makes contact with you ahead of time, be sure to tell them that you need him to install the oval dish with 3 LNB's. The installation may be basic (ie: not the world's most pretty cable running) but you can negotiate with the person while they are there if you want them to do more. You will likely need to commit to a full year of Total Choice programming to get any deals from DirecTV.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What's made you pick DirecTV over Cox? If it's something like NFL Sunday Ticket, why not get Cox and their HDTV receiver until you need D*. I'm just curious, I'm sure you have a good reason. I just don't know anything D* exclusive other than HDNET and NFLST.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by danimalx
What's made you pick DirecTV over Cox? If it's something like NFL Sunday Ticket, why not get Cox and their HDTV receiver until you need D*. I'm just curious, I'm sure you have a good reason. I just don't know anything D* exclusive other than HDNET and NFLST.
Well it's actually up in the air.. the idea is that in the long run i will get more channels (currently only abc, nbc, hbohd, showhd, discoveryhd and possibly pbs are currently offered on cox in fairfax county)

secondly.. theres about 150$ up front for cable plus a 10$ month charge...

it seems based on that that although the up front costs of directv.. you get OTA which gives you more channels (with the huges E86) and over the long run is cheaper (because of no 10$ rental)

actually your post got me thinking.. I think my ultimate goal is to get cox and directv in the know about my difficult choice and see which will make me an offer i can't refuse :)

ps.. sorry about the lack of question mark.. i didn't think about some of you being fooled by the subject.. i appologize.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.