AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm having some issues with my directv and was hoping someone else would be familiar with it.

When doing a cable test, I see all the even transponders (on the main sat) come in with 90+ signal strength. While all the odd number transponders are 0. I'm trying to narrow down whether its a dish problem or the receiver. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Yes. Please provide more info as to your equipment, new dish, old dish, multi-switch...very helpful in trying to help you troubleshoot your problem..

With an old round dish and no multi-switch, you could have a bad cable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dish is about a year old. Its the oval multi-sat dish with a mult-switch (4 outputs). The cable is brand new, I ran a short piece (25 ft) from the dish to the receiver to test last nite.

The box is a Hughes, about 4-5 years old.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Do you have other DirecTV Receivers? Do they also show the problem?

What happens if you use a different output from the dish's multiswitch?

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Compare the voltage present on the LNB input connector when switching from odd to even. it should be about 18 to 20 volts for even transponders and 13-14 volts for odd ones. If it is above 15.5 volts when calling for odd transponders, the LNB will send only even transponder signals to the receiver, which means you have a bad receiver.

FWIW, half a dozen years ago, the geniuses at JVI decided that they would have their 16 port multiswitches put out nearly 16 volts on the "odds" input so that the voltage could better be sustained over long cable lengths. Unfortunately, I installed three of them in a headend where the cable length was only 30 feet, and they called for the evens instead of the odds. JVI said they were aware of the problem, and that all I needed to do was to install a couple of 200' coils of RG-6 between the multiswitch and the LNBs, and the voltage would drop down to the range for odd transponder selection.

I instead installed VBC voltage blocks and dedicated 13v/18v LNB power inserters and will never buy another JVI commercial product. End of rant. If this is not a receiver voltage problem, then it is an LNB problem. Peabobb should try moving the coax to one of the unused LNB ports as litzdog911 suggests. If it is a bad receiver, then the receiver surely should be replaced, because receivers so inexpensive that it is almost never worth the expense and inconvenience of having one repaired.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
litzdog911:

That is the only receiver I have right now. I have tried all 4 outputs on the multiswitch, with the same results.

If you had to guess, is it more probable to be the dish or the receiver?

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
It is unlikely that anyone here has a statistical data base from which to determine that, historically, it is more likely that your symptom is caused by yor receiver is calling for the wrong signals rather than that your LNB is furnishing them. I would wager that it is more likely that your receiver is calling for the wrong signals because there are certain theoretical shorts in the 13 volt regulator circuit which would result in the unregulated voltage passing through it to the LNB, but you can buy a meter at Radio Shack for maybe $12 to measure that voltage if you don't have one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.