AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just yesterday i received my new JVC 42" ED plasma and tried it out on non-digital basic cable. Picture quality was "passable" so i was very excited to see how much better it would surely look on the DirecTV I was having installed today. To my surprise however, it looks awful! Blotchy and pixelated when objects move. Signal strength seems ok.

Nothing on this DirecTV setup appears to be grounded anywhere...in one of the manuals somewhere I read this could result in a poor picture?

50 foot of Rg6 cable runs from the triple lnb dish right to the 5X8 switch (switch is powered). Then 25 feet of Rg6 runs from the switch to the DirecTV rcvr. The rcvr is hooked up to the plasma with basic RCA-type connection. I will be going component video this weekend but doubt that will help enough.

HELP ME PLEASE. Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Signal strength seems ok
Signal strength has very little to do with picture quality. You get a picture or you don't. There's a little in-between where you get macro blocking.

Quote:
The rcvr is hooked up to the plasma with basic RCA-type connection. I will be going component video this weekend but doubt that will help enough.
It may help. Which receiver are you using? Which channel are you watching? DirecTV varies their compression by channel and sometimes by show. HD gets full bandwidth, PPV and premium movie channels are less compressed while other channels will get different compression levels. I'm not familiar with plasma TVs but I assume they have the same controls (contrast, brightness, etc.) as other TVs. A good calibration will lessen the effects of compression but not eliminate them. I'm watching a DirecTivo on a 55 inch widescreen and don't really notice any compression artifacts. Then again, I'm not looking for them.

-Robert

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for now i'm using the lower Hughes rcvr. i had the 'executive director' model but just after the installer completed configuring it, it locked up and reset itself. it happened again a few mins later so i told DirecTV not to activate that receiver and i'm getting a new one shipped. in the meantime, i moved the bascis hughes from another room....could all of this be related to the poor quality picture?....

i'm watching basic channels, TBS, Fox, etc. and there does not seem to much of a difference between them.

any thoughts on the non-grounding?

thanks again.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have used D* with our Panny ED plasma for nearly 2 years. It should look better than most (but not all) cable systems.

We find D* SD programs to be quite good on the ED plasma. Of course after watching HDTV programs on our plasma - nothing else looks good:p

We get our HDTV via BEV (Canadian DBS). Get all the networks. The SD programming via BEV looks quite good on most channels as well.

Grounding or not should make no diff. in PQ. Our sat. system isn't grounded. Our D* and BEV systems are connected to the plasma via S-video. The HD output is connected via component. I don't know if using RCA cable rather than S-video would make much diff. However, all systems i have seen since the lst gen. D* years ago say to use S-video if you can.

...mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will be calibrating using the Avia disc. hope that helps.

when watching DirecTV i notice that if i focus on a sction where there's a darker, consistent color, i seems to move (like there's water underneath is the only way i can describe it). the pq seems ok till there's movement then it's blurry and refocuses. im trying to describe this...sorry.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know little about this, but I can tell you a friend of mine bought a 4 grand tv at best buy (non-plasma), and his Directv picture on it looks marginal.

Directv (non-HD) was not meant to be displayed on a large screen. Although it is digital, it is compressed.

Try playing a DVD on this plasma, and I bet you will be blown away.

My hunch is your problem is not your TV

HD Directv will look amazing on that set.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know little about this, but I can tell you a friend of mine bought a 4 grand tv at best buy (non-plasma), and his Directv picture on it looks marginal.

Directv (non-HD) was not meant to be displayed on a large screen. Although it is digital, it is compressed.

Try playing a DVD on this plasma, and I bet you will be blown away.

My hunch is your problem is not your TV

HD Directv will look amazing on that set.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, DVD looks fantastic. I now have mostly everything hooked up the way i'm gonna leave it and i'm still disappointed in the Directv picture. I'm not sure i'd describe it as 'screen door' but things just look out of focus. On text displayed on the weather channel, for instance, the letters and numbers have a tiny line running through them at the top or bottom edge across the whole word/line. This just makes the text not seem sharp and it makes my eyes tired trying to focus.

The only remaining addition/change will be to swap-out a very LOW BUDGET power strip (it's a temporary, blown-up version of an extension cord that does not have any power conditioning or protetion) with a Monster HT1000.....on the way. I've read that this may help.

What is the deal with DirecTV HD? Looks like only a few HD channels but would non-HD channels be better? What additional equip is necessary?

Thanks all....maybe I just expected too much. Things looked a lot better on my Toshiba/36"/direct view/4:3/basic cable....then again, maybe it should've looked better?

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
you will get a better picture with a HD sat rec. what ever you dont dont get the hughes HD sat rec. it look like sh**. because hughes HD sat rec don't have a line dubbler in it so dont get it. I have a old rch dtc 100 i look a lot better then the hughes hd rec (e87).

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing that might help is check to see if your TV is converting the 480i signal to 480p by doing line doubling. This will cause the picture to be blurry. I have not figured out why it doesn't seem to affect DVD's. Just a thought.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B]One thing that might help is check to see if your TV is converting the 480i signal to 480p by doing line doubling. This will cause the picture to be blurry. I have not figured out why it doesn't seem to affect DVD's. Just a thought.[/b]

thanks but would anyone have any idea how this is done on ther JVC ED plasma? i know i searched the manual and the menus but i did not see anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.