AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time on this board and need some advice.

Have used DirecTV for last 4 years in non-HD mode but having just taken delivery of HD RPTV I need to change STB and dish anyway. Initially thought DirecTV of course but I'm being told that I should really look at Dish 6000.

Only sports content I want is Speedvision and local Braves games (OK maybe NYY too!!)

Am I right in thinking that Dish offers more non-sports HD programming and that they have the infrastructure (bandwith) to offer more HD content in the future. Initially, I'd also want to get local OTA programming as well via an antenna. What are the pros and cons of each and are there an GOTCHAS I should know about regarding the equipment and install?

Your advice/opinions is appreciated.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You are correct in your assumption. Dish offers

CBS-HD (need a waiver from local CBS station)

HBO-HD

SHOtime-HD

PPV-HD

Demo-HD

They also have more room for adding more channels. Directv has better and a wider selection of receivers but they only have

HBO_HD

HDNET (sports channel)

I went with Dish bc of the wider selection of non-sports programming in SD and also in HD.

Please search the threads for more details.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here is my humble opinion, any comments:

1. Dish network requires TWO dishes, pointing to different angles, to get HD and non-HD. DirecTV needs only ONE oval dish. Correct?

2. I can get CBS-hd easily OTA with a simple antenna. Most of the country can get that too (?)

3. Ignoring all the demo loops, that means it's down to Dish's SHO-hd vs DirecTV's HDnet, since both carry HBO-hd.

4. So, if you are sports oriented, go DirecTV, with one less dish. If you like movies, go DishNetwork with the SHO channel.

5. I've seen HDnet in a store, best picture I've ever seen. I'm going with DirecTV.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You may want to wait a week or so before making that decision.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=88247

If Echostar ends up with DirecTV, you're eventually going to need to get Dish equipment anyway. Personally, I wouldn't buy a new satellite system until this mess is resolved. No sense in investing in equipment now, only to have to replace it in less than 12 months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the sale of DirecTV to Dish really that close as Randy suggests?

If I'm going to go Dish 6000 now is a great time to do it owing to their package promos (which expires within a week). But "she who must be obeyed" will kill me if I keep the Mits HD 400 I've bought only to find it obsolete within a few weeks/months.

C'mon guys help me out here!

·
Registered
695 Posts
There's another thread that suggests that GM will make their decision by the end of the weekend. Even if Echostar wins the bid, that doesn't mean those DirecTV receivers will obsolete. It'll take some time to put the process into place to swap out those DTV receivers. But I certainly wouldn't buy a new DirecTV receiver if Echostar wins.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Before you decide I also sugguest that you actually go use both Dish and DirecTV and see how you like the program guides and user inteface. I've had both and really miss the DTV interface, Dish's interface and program guide remind me of an Atari 2600 vs. a Playstation 2.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Boecker
But I certainly wouldn't buy a new DirecTV receiver if Echostar wins.
That's a pretty strong statement. If someone wanted to watch DirecTV programming (HDNet or Sundy Ticket for example), I wouldn't tell them to wait months for regulatory approval of a merger, and then more months/years for the actual merging of the programming services. Echostar would be responsible for the cost of replacing any equipment.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had your same problem; deciding whether or not I should go with DirecTV or Dish Network. I was originally going to go with DirecTV, but then I was convinced to go with Dish Network. Dish Network has something like 90 transponders while DirecTV only has around 45, so I decided that Dish Network had more space (which hopefully means a less compressed signal and more HD channels). And finally, I have decided to go with both. Dish Network maxed out and DirecTV's cheapest package (I believe $7.99), that way I can get every available HD Channel. By the way, HDNet is not sports only, they also show documentaries, etc.

I hope this helps,

HDCblGuy

·
Registered
24 Posts
c'mon; do you think that Dish would swap at least 15 million receivers if they took over Directv....??

They only possible scenario could be a non duplication of all channels in Mpeg2 but keeping both encoding format active.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by entity
c'mon; do you think that Dish would swap at least 15 million receivers if they took over Directv....??

They only possible scenario could be a non duplication of all channels in Mpeg2 but keeping both encoding format active.
According to this , Echostar is budgeting $2.5B over 4 years to swap boxes. At approximately 10 million DirecTV subscribers, that would work out to an average of about $250 per subscriber.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Boecker
You may want to wait a week or so before making that decision.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=88247

If Echostar ends up with DirecTV, you're eventually going to need to get Dish equipment anyway. Personally, I wouldn't buy a new satellite system until this mess is resolved. No sense in investing in equipment now, only to have to replace it in less than 12 months.
If the past is any example, such as when DirecTV bought Primestar and upgraded customers at no charge as I recall, I doubt DISH would charge an existing customer for a neccessary upgrade.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Nothing will happen overnight. It will take months and maybe more than a year to see whay will be the future on this. Go ahead and enjoy the service of your choice now. Life is too short to sit and wait for the world to stabilize. FWIW- my choice is to have both as I enjoy the benefits of both.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.