AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have TWC (HD Box) and can't stand the analog channels that have most of the stations I watch. I need help deciding which receiver and company to go with. I don't care for sports so that's not a concern.

Thanks

·
Registered
395 Posts
Dish would probably be the better choice if you aren't really into sports. You've more local channel and HD options with dish. It does require two dishes if you want HD and SD content though. --Karl

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have DirectTV & it's not bad, but I think it has more digital artifacting due to more compressed signals than Dish, based on watching Dish at a friends house. I think my observations are probably universal, since most other posters on the forum have stated likewise. You ask why then did I get DirectTV, because of the $10 Block Buster Para Todos deal, see other thread on subject. Also, unless you are sitting really close to your TV & looking for them you don't really notice it too much, especially when two weeks ago I was watching snowy OTA on a 13" TV! If money were no concern I'd go with Dish, but I couldn't pass up letting Viacom buy me an oval dish with 4X multiswitch & two LNBs, plus hughes receiver. One more thing, if want to try & record HDTV you have to go with Dish, I don't thinks anyone's been able to do it yet with DirectTV .

·
Registered
110 Posts
If the locals lineups are not an issue, and price is not an issue:

Check out the PVR options:

I can't live without my Tivo. The DirecTV offers a Tivo integrated receiver that has 2 tuners (capable of recording 2 shows on different channels at the same time). I now own 2 of the suckers!

Dish offers a DishPVR, but most people I know that have tried both like the Tivo software better. I don't think DishPVR has 2 tuners yet (next year?). Someone will correct me if I am wrong, I am sure.

There is also the Microsoft UltimateTV for DirecTV which offers WebTV access and PIP. I think that Tivo's software is still more mature than the others, but there are people here who will argue that point. Tivo also offers the option of increasing the video storage space (albiet, it voids the warantee!) (I have ~125 hours of DirecTV quality video storage!).

Any of these options will require a higher monthly fee (+$10) but Tivo is still offering their one-time lifetime option ($250) for probably only a limited time (end of 2001?), but most people who have one think that the extra fee is worth every penny. I would take ANY one of these PVRs over the option of NOT HAVING ONE AT ALL!

Plus you can get great deals on the hardware if you are a first time customer.

------------------

Phillips DSR6000R/107hours

Phillips DSR6000R/35hours

Phillips HDR312/60hrs

[This message has been edited by mishagray (edited 09-17-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.