AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic STB and am looking to finally take the bull by the horns and go satellite. I'm on the fence with which service to use.

Do you have to use the DTC-100 with Directv? That means no 720p, correct?

Dishnet: any STB can be used? I see they offer an 8-VSB tuner...doesn't the receiver do that along with a STB?

Also, which system offers the better outputs from their receiver. Component, S-VHS, video, etc.

I guess I'm asking what exactly needs to be purchased to get HDTV from both services.

Thanks.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeff43:
I have a Panasonic STB and am looking to finally take the bull by the horns and go satellite. I'm on the fence with which service to use.

If you are looking for the best picture quality and have money/space; 4DTV is the answer. Checkout www.delphi.com/4dtv

Best picture quality because 4DTV receives 1st generation DCII signal as opposed to Dish/DirecTV who receive DCII signal on many services (HBO/Showtime/Starz/A&E etc), translate into their encryption method and then uplink to their satellites.

In addition, the HD decoder (HDD-200/201) can be used with Star Choice to receive Canadian DCII 1st generation feeds including HD ( www.starchoice.com )

An option worth consideration if quality is high priority

·
Registered
695 Posts
To answer part of your original question:

First thing to consider between Dish and DirecTV (I've had both), is that Dish currently offers more HD programming than Direct (HBO-HD, SHOW-HD, PPV, and a demo channel) and has publicly said they will offer more HD programming as soon as it becomes available. DirecTV has more sports packages than Dish, but not as much HD. And they have said they will not carry more HD content until more becomes available. A subtle difference, I know, but it was enough to make me switch.

The Dish 6000 reciever comes with S-Video and component outputs. The component outputs become active only when you switch the unit into HD mode, and then the signals are upconverted to 1080i. You don't need anything extra to get HD from Dish's satellite feeds with the 6000 receiver.

The 8VSB tuner (optional) is for receiving OTA digital channels. The nice thing about this is that your local digital channels are then included in your satellite channel guide. One box, one guide, very convenient.

I would think you could still use your Panny STB in conjunction with a 6000 receiver. When I switched from DirecTV to Dish, I did so specifically because I wanted to upgrade to HD and the fact that I could get satelite SD and HD, as well as OTA HD, all in one box for a great price (around $300 including the Dish 500) made it a no-brainer for me.

From where I sit, the picture quality overall is better on Dish than it was on DirecTV. Also, the Dish 6000 does output 720p, if you need it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.