AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out I have the option of either DirecTV or TWC. Both offer HDTV.

Now, I know Directv NOW only has 3 channels.

I'm not sure how many channels TWC has in NYC.

The Directv will cost me $160 just for installation (high-rise nyc apt)

and the receiver is $420 plus monthly fee. 1yr contract required

TWC will just cost me the monthly service fee + box rental.

no contract required.

Either way I will try to get some OTA channels in the Wall-street area of NYC.

What do you all think I should do?

Thanks,

mlr

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
TWC in NYC has 4 channels:

CBS, NBC, SHO and HBO. Also, they have 'slots' in the programming guide for FOX (which technically is 480p), PBS and ABC. The speculation around here has been that these channels will come back up 'soon' (meaning in the next several weeks or a few months depending on who's doing the speculation...). So, between the cost savings and the fact that you're likely to get OTA too, I'd go with TWC personally. I have it and love it (and I almost hate to say it...)

TM

·
Registered
407 Posts
I agree about TWC. If you currently have TW, the upgrade to HD will only cost $30, the cost of installation. Now, the downside . . . there is a very long wait to get an HD box from TWCNYC. Bob Watson is the contact person to get on the waiting list. I'd do a search for his phone number (unless someone else has it handy) and get on the list now. It could be a few months to get the SA2000HD box which you will need. Give a call and find out the expected wait. By then, we will probably have Fox, ABC and PBS back in HD (well, ED for Fox).

Good luck.

-Brett

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, i'm signed up for DTV install on wed.

I don't have TWC now, I have RCN. They said that I could get TWC TV, but not the RR service, so I'm not sure if I can even get DTV through TWC. If I can, it will be at least two(?) months before I get to see some HDTV.

The only problem is that directv has those stupid contracts, what if I want to get rid of it?

Has anyone tried to cancel their Directv service after 3-4 months?

Thanks,

-mlr

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would go with TWC... no rain fade. Unless DirecTV costs much less, I wouldn't go with them. I only have them because cable in my town does not offer HDTV yet.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomwid
I would go with TWC... no rain fade. Unless DirecTV costs much less, I wouldn't go with them. I only have them because cable in my town does not offer HDTV yet.
I've had cable, and I currently have DirecTV. My DirecTV service rarely goes out (last time was last September, and I can't remember the time before that) and has only gone out longer than 15 minutes once (that was during a hail storm and lasted 45 minutes).

Cable, on the other hand, would go out for an entire day sometimes, and went out much more frequently than DirecTV.

Each cable system is different, but I think there's a greater chance of a cable breaking somewhere to stop your service than a storm that stops DirecTV. Plus, DirecTV comes right back, you don't have to wait for a repair person to fix wiring, you just wait for the storm to die down a little.

Your mileage will vary, of course.

Brad

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would go with DirectTV. It is by far cheaper then TW cable. TW continues to raise their prices every couple of months.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Get the TWC and save all those up-front costs. Use it, contract-free for a few months while you figure out what you want to do in the long run.

Better settop boxes with better support for recording dbs HD are coming, and so on.

Save a stack of cash with no commitment while things keep shaking out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
DirecTV's biggest benefit is HDNet: the only all HD channel at this time. However, I don't think buying a HD STB is worth it for one channel with

limited programming. If HDNet adds a few more channels - there's a recent

thread that states that they will - then it maybe time to buy a HD STB.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also have TWC HD and it looks great. I am fortunate that it my area we have several local stations plus PBS, HBO and Showtime in HD.

I agree to go with TWC for now and avoid all the upfront costs. Try it for awhile until more programming is available and then decide.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.