AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2 LNB dish with 2 RG6 coax feeds going into a 5X8 multiswitch with 2 coax lines going to Directv DVR. I want to place an OTA passive antenna outside near the sateliite dish and use diplexer to combine one of the satellite LNBs with the OTA and feed the OTA thru the multiswitch to another diplexer at the Directv DVR for OTA broadcast. Is this feasible and will the multiswitch pass this OTA through? Its very difficult for me to run another coax line, would this work or is there another option or type of multiswitch or setup that I can use?

Thank you,

PrestonD

· Registered
2,313 Posts
One of the inputs of your 5x8 multiswitch should be an antenna input. Bring your antenna cable to the multiswitch antenna input, don't combine the antenna with the LNB feed using a diplexor before the multiswitch. At the TV end, make sure the diplexor passes DC voltage on the leg going to the DirecTV DVR.

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I am terribly sorry the multiswitch is a Zinwell 6x8 WB68 and that apparently does not play well with OTA signals (dependant upon the LNB/satellite). It does have "flexports" which are not compatible with an OTA antenna.

Maybe I should change the multiswitch but I would rather not spend the money, I might have to go ahead and just run the additional coax.

Thanks,

Preston

· Registered
698 Posts
I'm currently using a 5LNB dish for HDTV via DirecTV. I currently have two RG-6 leads going into my bedroom on the 2nd floor for my HR20 and one lead going to my living room on the 1st floor for my H20.

I'm in the process of moving my living room home theater into a dedicated home theater room in the basement. Part of this move involves swapping out the H20 for a second HR20. DirecTV has agreed to come out and wire two new RG-6 leads to the basement home theater room direct from the dish so I can hook it up down there.

I cannot receive antenna signals in my basement so I'm going to install a passive antenna on the roof. In order to get that signal down from the roof to the basement I need a diplexer. I'd also like to diplex that antenna into the bedrooms RG-6 feed in order to remove the powered Terk that's in there currently and simplify everything.

Now the way I originally intended to do this was extremely ugly. I was going to use a RG-6 splitter wired direct to the antenna. I was then going to wire a diplexer to each of the sides of the splitter. That's 3 splits right there per feed. Not very smooth. I found this Terk BDD-32 dual diplexer listed on Crutchfield which seems to do the same thing. Will that do what I'm wanting?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.