AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house is pre-wired with two coaxial cables to each room from master switch box. I subscribe Cox cable (internet + TV) and DirecTV (TV), so the two coaxial cables are occupied. I can install an antenna in the attic and there is a coaxial from the attic to the switch box pre-wired. My question is: Can I put the OTA HD signal together with the DirecTV signal in the same coaxial cable? My switchbox is the USTec with a built-in video combiner. If not, can I do the "Cox cable + OTA" in one coaxial cable? You'll never have enough cables pre-wired in your house :)

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You can use diplexors to join the Directv and OTA feeds then split them back out at the receiver, you can't join OTA and cable due to overlapping frequencies.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I will never have ota and satelite on at the same time. Will I need 2 duplexors, 1 at the outside split and one at the hd reciever?

Do they automatically switch?

i want this

{outdoor ant.}----------}__________________{====[{ota tuner}+{dish reciever}]

{dish}------------------}

will that work?

·
Registered
981 Posts
They don't "switch" as much as they simply allow both signals to run through the same line. Both OTA and satellite can be used simultaneously. And yes, you need two like your diagram shows.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
A wiring diagram is available here.

The diplexer at the receiver end is only required to separate the signals into two cables. If only one of the signals is required, a receiver end diplexer is not necessary. Either set of signals is available in the combined line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.