AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my 35" Mitsu direct view TV. The 64" Pioneer model 643 at Costaco for 2k is a rear projection CRT based tv. How would the SD pic from DirecTv look on this big set? I'll be replacing my DirecTivo at some point with the HD DirecTivo are out and affordable. The Pioneer doesn't have DVI or HDMI inputs so I don't know if the HD DirecTivo can even hook up to it.

·
Super Moderator
19,084 Posts
An SD source on an HDTV is a lot like AM radio on a home theater. It may sound a little better, but you'll most likely be disappointed. DirecTV's SD was designed to look perfect on a 36" standard television. The flaws in the MPEG scheme aren't obvious at the resolution a standard-definition is capable of reproducing. But they certainly turn up when viewing on an HDTV. Of course, once you have access to HDTV signals, you'll be spending a whole lot less time with the standard ones .

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
There are two solutions to make 480i sources like analog TV or DirecTV or Dish or digital cable look good on an HDTV or HD-capable monitor. The first solution is an external box scaler that will drive one of your high bandwidth inputs (VGA, DVI, or 'high band" componet video, aka YPbPr). AVS the Forum host has several scaler brands, give Jason a call and select what best fits your needs.

The best scaler by a long margin is a Home Theater PC running Dscaler software. Nothing else compares - but the PC costs and some find it annoying to manage a HTPC. I use a HTPC/Dscaler solution to interface my DirecTiVo HDVR2 to my XGA projector.

Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.