Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DIRECTV Plans Monthly Fee for HDTV!

EXCLUSIVE!

TVPredictions.com has learned that DIRECTV is planning to launch an HDTV channel package that would cost approximately $10 a month. The package would include ESPN HD, HDNet and HDNet Movies, and The Discovery HD Theater channel.

There's no timetable for the launch because some details still have to be worked out. But several sources tell TVPredictions.com that it's "very likely" that the package will be offered in the coming weeks.

Robert Mercer, a DIRECTV spokesman, said the satcaster is talking to ESPN AND Discovery about adding their new HD channels. But he would not comment on whether the channels would be part of a larger HD package or would require a fee. DIRECTV currently carries HDNet for free, but does not offer HDNet Movies, ESPN HD or Discovery

HD Theater.

The monthly fee would be big news because non-premium HDTV channels -- until now -- have been available for free on satellite TV. If DIRECTV starts charging for HDTV, it could set a standard for both the satellite and cable TV industries. Some cable operators, such as Charter and Cox, have been testing monthly HD program fees. Charter, in fact, offers HDNet, HDNet Movies and Discovery HD Theater for $9.99 a month.

Phillip Swann, president of TVPredictions.com, forecast last month that DIRECTV would soon charge for HD content to appease new owner Rupert Murdoch, who is not a fan of free HD programming.

Stay tuned for updates on this breaking story. And to read more of today's news, go to:

www.tvpredictions.com

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris J

The monthly fee would be big news because non-premium HDTV channels -- until now -- have been available for free on satellite TV. If DIRECTV starts charging for HDTV, it could set a standard for both the satellite and cable TV industries. Some cable operators, such as Charter and Cox, have been testing monthly HD program fees. Charter, in fact, offers HDNet, HDNet Movies and Discovery HD Theater for $9.99 a month.

This is not entirely correct. Dish currently charges for DiscoveryHD. I personally would not mind paying $10 for a HD package. I will just cancel Starz:D

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Sounds like a perfect way to spend $10!!!!!

:)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
So that would be ESPN HD, HDNet and HDNet Movies, The Discovery HD, HBO HD, Showtime HD and one PPV HD channels :) Not bad.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I really wish they would include HBO and SHowtime in that package (even if it cost more) I hate paying for all those channels when I only watch the HD channels. That is like $25 a month or so I pay for 2 channels.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I sent an email to D* about two weeks ago inquiring about ESPN-HD and HDNet Movies. They said they are in negotiations with ESPN-HD, but there were no plans to carry HDNet Movies. I realize CSR's generally don't know ****, and you can find one that will say anything, but I found it curious the person who responded to my email would replied in that fashion.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Let me tell you, Phil Swann must be a genius for seeing that coming. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In another prediction seemingly out of nowhere he says we should see some news from Dish "real soon now".

Personally I would not mind paying $10 or $12 for a package like he mentioned, just not $8 for one chanell.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I would like to make a prediction that there will be more HD channels introduced in the coming years, and that sports coverage will be increasing. Please, hold your applause, just throw money. :D

I'll buy whatever HD they're selling. Of course I'll need to tweak my dish aim a little bit, cuz my sat C is a bit sketchy sometimes, but hey. It'll give me an excuse if it's true.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hummm..... If I cancel my HBO sub the Mrs wouldn't even complain much about the bill (it'd may actually go down a few $$ )

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
how credible is tvpredictions.com?

·
Registered
467 Posts
yea i could get rid of my east / west feeds of networks thats half the price. now that i can get my locals OTA

·
Registered
924 Posts
I posted a while back that I would gladly pay 10 dollars a month for this exact lineup, I will be a happy camper.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
When a reasonably priced package of compelling HDTV channels is available (be it from cable or satellite), more and more consumers will be drawn to HDTV.

Content providers evaluating the possibility of HDTV will see the existance of such packages as a means to make some return on the investment, which is a necessity if we want to see more HD channels (or HD versions of channels) in the next few years. Such packages are also a necessity if content providers are to have any hope of reaching enough eyeballs in the next 4-7 years to generate advertising revenue on HDTV; when that happens, we should see more and more of the popular channels launch with the technology.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Excellent news!!! I would be more than happy to pay $10 for Discovery ESPN and HD movies!!!

Def. would sign up..

Now, lets hope they do it..

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Sign me up.

Now, if I can just figure out a way to drop my basic "Select Choice" service, and keep HDNet, HBO-HD, SHO-HD, and these new channels, I would be all set. The only SD channel I currently watch is ESPN.. If I had that in HD, I no longer need Select Choice.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I think you can drop all programming but keep Sunday Ticket. That would allow you to a la carte the HD channels and with Sunday Ticket, you should get all the HD games available except MNF.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.