AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having a problem with their dtv guide? Almost all of my descriptions are: "To Be Announced". Is that me or them? Hughes E86. I hope this is the proper forum.

Charles

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got a Toshiba STB (same basic design as E86) and my guide is fine on both local OTA channels and on D* channels.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the Hughes E-86 and got the same problem. I don't worry about it though. By the way the Pacers vs Celtics playoff game looks awesome in HD!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
chuck,

This is a hardware issue, so I moved your topic here.

And I deleted the other topic, please do not start more than one topic on the same subject.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Charles...Just do a soft-reboot: ACTION/POWER. This will return the programming information in your guide. For whatever reason, Hughes receivers tend to lose the guide from time to time. It used to happen to mine more often but lately hasn't.

·
Super Moderator
18,529 Posts
Chuck..

Note that this frequently happens when an STB is left on a SAT B or C channel for a long period of time. Like a day or two. APG information isn't sent on those birds. You can avoid the problem by tuning to, say, 201 before shutting down for the night or when you're not watching. Many STBs continue to "look" at the last satellite and transponder they were tuned to before being shut down.

Doc

·
Registered
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrDon
Chuck..

Note that this frequently happens when an STB is left on a SAT B or C channel for a long period of time. Like a day or two. APG information isn't sent on those birds. You can avoid the problem by tuning to, say, 201 before shutting down for the night or when you're not watching. Many STBs continue to "look" at the last satellite and transponder they were tuned to before being shut down.

Doc
Wow, good tip Doc. I frequently have this problem with my Sony HD200, except it says nothing at all in the prgram guide. Not even a "TBD." Oftentimes the last channel I watch per night is HDNet, so I guess that could be why.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mucho gracias everyone. The suggestions were very helpful in correcting the problem. DrDon, I will try and keep your tip in mind when putting my system to rest. Adios

Charles

·
Super Moderator
18,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ender21
... the last channel I watch per night is HDNet, so I guess that could be why.
It took a bunch of us about 6 weeks of experimenting to figure this one out and taking copious notes. Sure enough, leaving the tuner on HDNet constantly caused problems, usually within 2 or 3 days. Setting it back to 201 minimized it. The best confirmation we got was from an AVS-er who has only a single round dish pointed at 119. He couldn't get the guide to work at all.

Another good tip is to just reboot the whole silly thing every week or two whether it needs it or not.

Doc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.