AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post on this great message board. I just got a Sony 60 inch HDTV widescreen, and subscribed to directv. They are kooking up the hdtv enabled dish and reciever, I had a few questions. Is the only way to view hdtv programs on the specific channels? What if cbs is broadcasting a football game on hdtv, can I view the game in HDTV. This is the main reason I got HDTV was to watch football and other sport shows. If not, is there going to be a sporting event station available in HDTV? Thanks for any help, also I would love to hear any reviews of the football games that have been broadcasted in HDTV. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
saildog....welcome to the AVS Forum. Maybe I can answer some of your questions. Your CBS digital station in Atlanta is WGCL digital channel 19-1. Depending on what brand HD receiver you have, you have to access your OTA stations and punch in 19-1. You of course need to be connected to a terrestial antenna (either in-door or out-door). As for DIRECTV, the available HDTV channels are 199 (HDNet), 509 (HBO) and 543 (Showtime). For 199 you need a basic subscription to DIRECTV. For the 2 movie stations you need subscriptions to those stations. However in some cases, they are offering the Showtime package on a 3-month trial basis (depending on what CSR you talk to). I hope this helps. Best of luck with your new toy!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think your question is answered in this thread .

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Incidentally, HDNet does live sporting events year round (all major sports and many minor sports). CBS just finished doing the SEC Football game of the week in HD. ABC is scheduled to televise the 2003 Super Bowl in HD and MNF next season. ABC will also be doing some NBA and NHL games in HD this season (probably the playoffs). Also most primetime programming (non-reality based shows) are currently in HD on CBS, NBC and ABC. Also 'Young and the Restless' on CBS is in HD every week day at 12:30PM.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Directv is not broadcasting network feeds in HD- they don't have the bandwidth. Since you have an HD directv set top box, you may be able to pick up your local CBS station's (WGCL) over-the-air signal by hooking up an antenna.

As far as HD sports,

HDNet http://hd.net (channel 199 on directv) offers MLB and NHL games.

CBS offers SEC football(which is done for the season) and NCAA basketball (DEC. 14 Florida @ Maryland, 2:00PM; DEC. 21 UCLA @ Kansas, 2:00PM).
www.cbs.com/info/hdtv/
www.wgcltv.com/

ABC will offer the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup and NBA finals in HD this season.

The best rundown of all HD offerings is the The Official AVS HDTV Programming Synopsis http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=164671

Also try: http://www.atlantadtv.org/links.htm

·
Registered
262 Posts
Saildawg,

You didn't say which model of HD tuner you have. Some only receive the DirecTV signal while others have over-the-air capability as well. To get the local HD from CBS, NBC, ABC and others you'll need OTA capability.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kf
Saildawg,

You didn't say which model of HD tuner you have. Some only receive the DirecTV signal while others have over-the-air capability as well. To get the local HD from CBS, NBC, ABC and others you'll need OTA capability.
Slight correction to the above statement. All HD tuners receive over-the-air while some also receive DIRECTV or DISH Network.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I am a little confused. What exactly is OAC capability? Are you saying that if I have an antenna that recieves my local channels, I can get hdtv signals from them? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by saildawg
Ok, I am a little confused. What exactly is OAC capability? Are you saying that if I have an antenna that recieves my local channels, I can get hdtv signals from them? Thanks for the help.
OTA = Over The Air DTV/HDTV

All DirecTV HDTV receivers are OTA capable, with an antenna. That's how you'll receive HDTV from CBS, ABC, NBC, etc.

Read this: HDTV Programming Synopsis

And the two links:
www.titantv.com
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.asp

·
Registered
506 Posts
You can go to antennaweb.org (or another online resource) and type in your address and zip code to see available stations in your area including compass direction. I used a standard antenna, pointed it in the direction shown on the website, and connected it to the Antenna input on a HD200. Voila - I had CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, etc. in HDTV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.