AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions regarding DirecTV.

1) Is it possible to order DirecTV from their website and instead of scheduling a date for a professional to do it, just have them send me the parts so I can do a self install of the dish? I know my setup is more complex than their "free standard installation." I have installed multiple antennas before and looking at the manuals they have online, it doesn't seem too difficult since I have some technical skills. But do they even allow a user to self install? And if they do, what "penalties" are there? (like ineligibility for discounts)

2) What happens to DirecTV service if I don't have a landline? Can I still get sports packages? I read that the landline is to check for blackout requirements.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give.

· Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyfrog /forum/post/16854554

I have a couple of questions regarding DirecTV.

1) Is it possible to order DirecTV from their website and instead of scheduling a date for a professional to do it, just have them send me the parts so I can do a self install of the dish? I know my setup is more complex than their "free standard installation." I have installed multiple antennas before and looking at the manuals they have online, it doesn't seem too difficult since I have some technical skills. But do they even allow a user to self install? And if they do, what "penalties" are there? (like ineligibility for discounts)

2) What happens to DirecTV service if I don't have a landline? Can I still get sports packages? I read that the landline is to check for blackout requirements.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give.

1) No. You could get the equipment from somewhere else and install it yourself but it would be costly.

2) The receivers they are using now do not require a land line for sports packages even though their ads say they do. I have Sunday Ticket and no land line in the house.

· Registered
7,918 Posts
1) No, if you want to self install, you need to purchase your own parts outright for the dish...

2) You don't need a phone line connected.

· Registered
3,433 Posts
Do the majority of the install yourself. Have them come out and install the dish and connect it to the cables that you have already run. I did that for a family member last year and the installers were not only appreciative, they called a few other installers to stop by and look at my wiring. They said they would have run the cables on the outside of the house and drilled through the bricks to get to the living room. That wasn't acceptable to the home owner. I spent about 3 hours stringing RG-6 in their attic and running it inside walls to the living room and bedrooms. I left the installers enough extra cable to put the dish in 3 different areas on the roof. They installed the dish, terminated all of the cables, installed the switch in the attic where I home-ran all of the cables (and labeled them so they wouldn't screw it up) and installed the receivers. I went back later and checked each receiver for proper connections to the TV as well as proper configuration.

-Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.