AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the Blockbuster deal and had the elliptical dish and the Hughes receiver installed. At the install, the installer measured the signal strength of Sat 119 in the range 71-86 and Sat 101 in the range 82 to 96. I then signed up for the select choice package. My main reason for getting DTV was for HDNET. At the time of install I did not have an HDTV receiver so I naturally did not watch DTV since I had all the channels on DISH NETWORK. I did however tune to DTV from time to time to compare picture quality with DISH and check out the program guide. Last night I got the Sony HD100 and connected my OTA antenna and was able to pick up the two available channels in my area. I then switched the sat cable feed to Hughes to the Sony and was able to get DTV channels 200, 201, 400 and 500. Just as I was about to call DTV to activate the Sony for HDNET, I got a message on the Sony box saying that there is a short on the satelite connection and to unplug receiver and check connection. I did just that but the problem was not fixed. I then switched back the cable to the Hughes box thinking maybe it was the Sony. The Hughes receiver tuned to some channels with no problems and on some I get the message acquiring satelite signal which stays on the screen for ever, blanks out and then comes back. I proceeded to the installation screen to check the two satellites. The sat 119 registered signal strength of 72 to 85 while on sat 101 all even transponders had no signal. After playing around with the cable, menu and several trips outside to the dish location with no positive results I abandoned it and went to bed. The next morning, I turned on the Hughes box and everything was okay. One would suspect that bad was the culprit, but the weather was great the night before. I have no trees in the line of sight. My dish network reception was fine (it usually acts up during rain). After the install I used a marker to put lines in several places to help detect any movement on the dish. I checked the marks and they were all straight. This night after the District on CBS, I turned on the Hughes receiver and the problem surfaced again., This is no signal on sat 101 on any transponders. Sat 119 is fine. I am begining to think that it could be the 4x4 switch. Any suggestions on what could be happening and my next step.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like a bad LNB. That is the piece on the arm that looks like a microphone pointing back at the antenna. The receiver sends a voltage (13 or 18 volts) to the LNB, the different voltages aligns the LNB to different polarities. I beleive the even transponders are on one and the odd on the other. So since you at one point got only the odds I guess that it may be the LNB. But it coud be the multiswitch or the connections from the mulitswitch to the LNB. First make sure all connections are tight. If they are I would then change the cables (cheapest fix) from the multiswith to the offending LNB. Check the manual for which position is for which LNB, I don't remember right now. If the problem is not resolved try changing multiswitch or the LNB. Change them 1 at a time to resolve which is the offender.

John

San Jose, Ca.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John. I called Directv and they will be sending the installer to check it out. I checked the system today and on sat 101, no signal on all even transponders. The odds are okay.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Check your cables between the LNBs and the multiswitch. Also bypass the multiswitch to see if it is causing your heartburn.

------------------

RJW

[This message has been edited by wezar (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem was one of the LNB. Changed it and everything works fine. Thanks for your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.