AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some other posts along these lines, but I'm sure "every situation is a bit different", so here goes! Hopefully people out there can help!

I just moved to a house that I am renting, and need to move my DirecTivo system with it. I have a dual LNB eliptical Sony dish.

The main problem is, I don't have a ton of options on where to put the dish, thanks to (1) the house "environment" and (2) the property management company for the property. (BTW: roof mount is already out of the question.)

I have attached a diagram of the environment.

So, I have 3 possible install locations for the dish.

Location 1: is on the side of the house, at the crown of the roof. There are no eaves hanging over here. This is a good location because it's on the house, and the cable run would be simple (through a nearby window). Also, it should clear the 2 story house next door. The problem is that the house has stucco all over the outside, which I believe is a mounting no-no! Also, the property management company doesn't really want holes drilled in the walls of the house.

Location 2: is on a wood fence between my property and the next door property. This is nice because there is a good clear view of the sky, and the mount location is pretty easy. Also, the property management company should be fine with this. The problem is that it's a *very* long cable run, and burying the cable isn't really practical, so I guess it would have to run through some PVC or something on it's way to the house? (But at some point, before it enters a window, it would probably need to be out in the open, right?)

Location 3: Is on the wood patio. Problems here are that the wood areas to mount on aren't super convenient, and I think I would have to put the dish on a taller than normal mast to clear the house next door. However, the wiring location is better.

Any thoughts on the feasibility of these options? Any recommendations? I really appreciate any help!

thanks!

pochoOcho

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
You know, nothing says you MUST bury the cable if you mount your dish at #2. Just tie it up on/along the fence until you get to a short distance between the house and fence.

And so far as drilling holes in the walls - well, you can find those RG6 coax cables that are flat - ideal for passing between a window and the bottom sill.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Location #1 certainly seems the most elegant, and I assume that the drilling problem you refer to is the holes through the stucco for the mounting bolts for the dish. Maybe you can do something like this: Cut a piece of 2x6 to the correct length and mount it over the stucco with NAILS through to the studs on the other side of the stucco. (pre-drill the 2x6 at half the diameter of the nails and the stucco only - not the underlying wood - at the full nail diameter) Don't drive the nail heads the last 1/16th so that you can easily pull them back out with a pry bar. (the 2x6 is thick enough that it ought to hold firmly without the head being pounded down.)

Then, mount the dish using screws that only go into the 2x6. When you leave, you can remove the 2x6 and just have 4 nail-size holes in the stucco that can easily patched and painted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.