AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the Sat-C upgrade kit for my Directv Oval dish. I understand this kit adds a 3rd LNB to the dish.

How does this work? Can anyone give me a simple explanation?

I understand I do not have to add any more cables than the current 4 that run from the dish to my multiswitch. How can that be, if there is a 3rd satellite? Are all the new transponders even, or all odd?

Will my current Spaun multiswitches work?

Thanks,

- jkh

·
Super Moderator
18,646 Posts
jkh...

Here's a good explanation as to what the special Sat C LNB and combiner do and why:

http://robster66.tripod.com/SatC.html

If you'd like a primer as to how the whole multisatellite thing works, I'd be happy to re-run that for you, or it's in various places around the forum.

Doc

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
DrDon..

I have 3 round 24 satellite dishes; one each aimed at A, B and C satellies. I have around 94 signal strength out of 100 on all satellites. I have the connections correct from Sat C dish to splitter and onto switcher. I only get HDNET (channel 79) after buying the HD package of 4 channels. HDNET is actually NOT on Satellite C. The other 3 channels I get at 94 signal strength as stated and I get the information for programming at top of screen for each channel. By the way, also can NOT get Showtime HD which is not part of this package. My receiver seems to be operating 100 percent and all connections are clean and tight. Had the install done by a pro. The mystery remains why I can not decode the HD channells on Satellite C at 110 degrees. I do get the informational channel for this satellite on channel 99. As I said I do get HDNET in HD and I also receive HBO-HD. These are not on Satellite C, of course. Any help would be appreciated. Directv is at a loss what the problem is as I am. I have been receiving satellite channels since 1985 by the way.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Sat C requires both a special frequency converting LNB and a transponder piggybacking combiner. If you didn't get a Sat C kit, you won't get Sat C. A regular LNB and/or splitter will not do the job.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
From Directv I have the special C kit to get 110 degree satellite and everything is hooked together and routed correctly as per directions. The pro install has done many of these combinations. As I said I do get Satellite C with a high signal and get the information channel on channel 99 for Sat. C.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by magic123
From Directv I have the special C kit to get 110 degree satellite and everything is hooked together and routed correctly as per directions. The pro install has done many of these combinations. As I said I do get Satellite C with a high signal and get the information channel on channel 99 for Sat. C.
So I take it channel 99 shows a blue background DirecTV logo and the sound comes through as instrumental music. If so, you might want to see if you can get a CSR to activate the Jade channel package as a test. That's 450-454. If you can get the Asian programming, you can bet they have your HD package set up wrong.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Channel 99 says..'test channel for 110' and generally shows a movie, etc. I do get channel 450 Jade..not other channels in that area. I will try to get other channels..451-454 activated. If I can get them activated..what can I do to set up Sat C correctly to be able to get channels 73, 76, etc. to be decoded and come thru in HD?..I am 99 percent sure I have the lead from dish aimed at Sat C set up correctly..the lead from the dish going into splitter along with lead from Sat B..being combined and coming out as a single lead and going into switcher that combines and sending the signals out to receiver. Thanks for your help here by the way

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
greywolf..

To expand on last message above...

Channel 450 shows Satellite C..number 10 transponder, I believe.

ESPNHD..channel 73 shows Satellite C, transponder 08 with signal strength of 94. Are you saying I may be on the 'wrong side' of transponder 08 if I may put it that way? HDNET, which I do get, is not on Satellite C as you well know. Somewhere my connection must be wrong, it seems.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Quote:
Somewhere my connection must be wrong, it seems.
Re-check all connections per the DirecTV Sat C instructions.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Channel 99 says..'test channel for 110' and generally shows a movie,
There is your problem. Your 110 dish is pointing at the wrong satellite. Dishes don't know one sat from another. Since everything but the programming seems ok, the wiring is probably correct. 99 will show a blue logo with background music when pointing at 110. It looks like 90 is not being used as a test channel anymore.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
greywolf..

What you said makes sense; remember, I do get 79 in loud and clear. It is HDNET (79) and is from satellite B at 119 degrees. Also, if on wrong satellite, why would I receive the programming information for each HD channel as I tune thru 73,76, 79, 81? Channel 99, as stated says..'test channel for 110 satellite'....Also, when I go back into menu from HD-ESPN (channel 73)..it says '110 satellite with a signal strength of 94'. And the other 2 HD channels (Discovery and HDNET) are the same. All this would be possible and me still NOT being on Satellite C at 110 degrees?

Question: Channel 99..which states at top of screen "test channel for 110"..is that channel always supposed to be with a blue background and Directv logo? I am always finding a movie on it. That must be a clue I am on incorrect Satellite..yes?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
greywolf..

By the way, when I am on this satellite in question..it gives me transponders 8-10-12. What transponders should I be receiving on Satellite C..at 110 degrees? Thanks, again.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
greywold..

another thought, if I may.

channel 450 and up..Chinese programming. I was receiving first few minutes of a movie (pay for view) on 450 last nite. My information on my reciever shows I am on Satellite C at 110 degrees with signal strength of 95. Could I be on correct satellite (C) and be receiving the wrong programming; in other words, on incorrect transponders?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
It should be 8-10-12. All the guide and header info comes from 101 which is working for you. Everthing will look normal except the programming on 110 will be wrong. For example, 450 is a Jade channel so you should be getting a "call for info how how to get this channel" message since you don't subscribe to it. 99 is always a blue logo and music, never a movie. Your symptoms are classic. Your 110 dish is aimed at the wrong satellite. Since tuning 99 selects transponder 8, your 110 dish must be aimed at the 101 bird to get the wrong program. Rotate the dish about 9 degrees west and a touch down and you should be in the ball park.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Magic123, your dish for Sat C is not pointing at 110, it sounds like it is pointing at 101.

The guide information (i.e. the channel banners, etc) comes from multiple satellites, but mostly 101 and 119. But obviously, the video for each channel only comes from the satellite that carries it. The receiver has no way of knowing for sure what satellite it is pointing at; all it knows is which transponder and which "antenna" it is supposed to listen to for the channel you've selected.

So what is happening in your case is that when you select channel 90, you see the correct guide information, because that is coming from the 101 or 119 satellites. But when your receiver selects the "Sat C" dish and transponder to tune to that channel, instead of getting the signal from the 110 satellite, it's getting that signal from 101. And so it shows whatever is on that transponder on 101. (PPV movies, etc)

Channel 99 should show a blue screen with a DirecTV logo. If you don't see that, your 110 dish is not aimed properly.

Craig

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Craig. Many thanks..and I begin to agree. Another clue here is..channel 451 shows..'Directv Para Todos' and channel 450 has a pay for view movie.

I trace these channels back thru my receiver information and it shows coming from 110 degree satellite. I just ask question: could I be on Satellite C but on incorrect transponders thus getting wrong channels? If so, how is this corrected? Or, again, could I be on incorrect Satellite and still be getting all this information that I am on Satellite C?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Bottom line..what greywolf and Craig are saying is:

If I am not getting on channel 99..the blue screen with Directv logo, I can NOT be on Satellite C. Correct? No exceptions?..even tho much of other info I am receiving gives hints I am on Satellite C?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
And, by the way, many thanks to Craig and to Greywolf. I am going to move dish, as suggested, and see if this corrects my problem. Everything else looks just fine..about 9 degrees west and a touch 'down'...

thanks again

warm regards,

Magic 123..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.