AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It wasen't DTV choice, It was the contractors decision. Better safe than sorry. There cost shouldn't be any more. They have a contracted price to launch.

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Quote:
WTF.. why would they do such a thing? Isn't it costing them more money to leave it on the ground? Doesn't make sense.
Because it costs millions of dollars to build and launch a satellite and if something isn't quite right it's time to hold the launch and figure things out. In this case www.spaceflightnow.com is reporting the delay was due to telemetry with the Russian rocket. Telemetry is very important so the delay is understandable.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe_R
I'd like to know why they are using Russian rockets and launching from Kazakhstan.
After Osama Bin Laden gets blown up along with the booster rocket, Al Qaida will come up with a Russian/China conspiracy, rather an US/Israel theory.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe_R
I'd like to know why they are using Russian rockets and launching from Kazakhstan.
Because they provided the best combination of cheap vs. reliable. The

launch business is an amazingly open and competitive market with

little concern for political correctness. Somehow I don't think that was the

answer you wanted, however......

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Apologies for being slightly off topic, but I have a strong feeling that those following this thread would really enjoy:

http://www.imax.com/spacestation/

I saw this yesterday and my jaw still won't close ;)

Inspiring, breathtaking, and there is a seat-shaking close-up of two launches, one possibly from Kazakhstan (I don't recall precisely). We all wish our home theater was like this...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.