AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I obtained a letter from DirecTV which will be sent to all dealers this week.

This letter tells of DirecTV's Plans for 2004 and mentions that they will Double or Triple their HDTV this year and will also add LOCAL HDTV programming!

Quote:
In programming, we will introduce interactivity in sports, news, and other areas. Specially tailored content will downloaded to DVR's. New channels will be launched for our customers. A new electronic program guide will have exciting new capabilities. Our high definition programming will increase by two to three times, including the expansion of local HD content. We will aggressively expand our international program offerings to compete in those important niches. We are also launching 70 new local markets in the next year.

To read the full letter please see http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=5849

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I *really* don't mean to be a smart ass...but isn't all of that old news? I'm missing what is actually news in that letter. HD locals coming to "some markets" in 2004 is probably the first time it's been stated officially, but it was certainly expected. Everything else has been stated already...right?
Quote:
Originally posted by gpflepsen
So which is it, double or triple?
Well, wouldn't the addition of HD locals alone to "some markets", nearly double the offerings?

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
And how the heck do you count LIL HD in 'double or triple'? Channels one local sub can receive? Okay, I get, um, what, 5 now? I'll get 5 locals more and 5 more from D* 'national programming'? Cool! (So, could double or triple then mean, if you get HD LIL, you get triple, and if not, you get double?!)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Double or tripling of the current HD channels is hardly a huge accomplishment since they do so little now it won;t be hard to double or triple that amount.

The 70 added LIL they are talking about would be SD LIL not HD LIL.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bsic
Id like to hear about a similiar letter- or even a rumor- from Dish.
Oh, you mean the self-proclaimed "leader in HDTV programming"?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Heh- well- they are for the moment with DBS. Cheaper than D* with the same # of channels. More, if you have a dish pointed to recieve CBS-HD and qualify. We'll see how the year plays out though. And how much the package price goes up when/if they add any significant channels.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Well, it says the 'expansion of local HD'. That's not LIL SD. That's not CBS-HD from WCBS. What else can 'local HD' mean except for LIL? Now, the 'expansion' part is strange, since no one has it now :) , but, >0 is an expansion from 0... :)

(I agree the 70 locals can be/is probably the buildout of SD LIL...)

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Ok.... guess i am waiting on directv.... sorry voom.....

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
... A new electronic programming guide will have exciting new compabilities....

Our high definition programming will incresae...
Hopefully they will spell-check this letter before actually sending it out.

"compabilities"???

"incresae"???

·
Registered
860 Posts
And DirectTV announced today the 24/7 "fuzzy rumor channel", which

will be used to distribute fuzzy, unsubstantiated, rumors for which

several interpretations exist. The head of DirectTV Fuzzy Rumor Division

(FRD) was quoth "We needed more bandwidth to get our rumors out,

and we needed to get ahead of the competition in rumors. This new

channel supplies those needs, and is a first in the industry".

When pressed for details, the FRD head replied that the channel

would be made available some time in the near future, on a channel

number that has not yet been determined, using a new satellite launch

that will be announced shortly.

·
Banned
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by samiam95124
And DirectTV announced today the 24/7 "fuzzy rumor channel", which

will be used to distribute fuzzy, unsubstantiated, rumors for which

several interpretations exist. The head of DirectTV Fuzzy Rumor Division

(FRD) was quoth "We needed more bandwidth to get our rumors out,

and we needed to get ahead of the competition in rumors. This new

channel supplies those needs, and is a first in the industry".

When pressed for details, the FRD head replied that the channel

would be made available some time in the near future, on a channel

number that has not yet been determined, using a new satellite launch

that will be announced shortly.
LOL your such funny

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally posted by DSperber
Hopefully they will spell-check this letter before actually sending it out.

"compabilities"???

"incresae"???
The misspelling on the above are mine, I typed in the quote as soon as I got the note in my hand.

I do not believe the actual scanned letter from DirecTV has my mistyping. :)

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Careful folks ... the "New DirecTV" ain't the same people as the "Old DirecTV" ... as far as I'm concerned D*'s new management is going to have to re-prove themselves worthy of my $$$. Past performance is no guarentee of the future.

HDC

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
The misspelling on the above are mine, I typed in the quote as soon as I got the note in my hand.

I do not believe the actual scanned letter from DirecTV has my mistyping. :)
Spelling now reflects the letter, and looks correct to the spell checker.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
Careful folks ... the "New DirecTV" ain't the same people as the "Old DirecTV" ... as far as I'm concerned D*'s new management is going to have to re-prove themselves worthy of my $$$. Past performance is no guarentee of the future.

HDC
Wait, isn't past performance what we're all angry about in the first place? Past performance says D* doesn't give a hoot about being an HD leader. They got out what they needed to to keep all of us from switching to Voom, but have done no more since. And that is despite channel after channel launching.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
What do you want Direct to do? Further compress the garbage they have now? I am content to wait until they have more transponder space to give us more HD.

Then, once this new bird is up, I will lose all the patience that I have now and DEMAND more movie channels in HD ! :)

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.