AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EOR THOSE THAT DIDN'T KNOW ; hi guys , directv just shut down 41-4400 Dealers in october 2001 nationwide on a variety of non consequential moronic isuues , non of which relate to pirating .....do YOU think they honestly care about freeing up transponder space , relating to their new satellite , to increase the bandwith for joe consumer????????...to get a better pic????

...........i seriously doubt it; directv is a money making machine , ruthless , cutthroat , and without care or concern , poor CSR's , ....and care only about the bottom line ....( i guess thats the way it should be , maybe ??).....that being what it is, they want more and more subscribers , ESPECIALLY now that the GM holding company's bottom line is important to the merger ..........most dealers dumped were small to medium size ones , that were with dtv since its inception , who proved to be of no further value any longer....(Loyalty, whats that)........again , they want their products sold at the mass merchandisers , brands marts , circuit city's , bestbuys , ...who thru no fault of their own have "brain-deads" working the floor , with lil' to no product knowledge about receivers , satellite locations , what they do , how they function , HDTV , A/V hme thtre , or any other satellite related issue's or questions....what'd they , the prospective cutomer then do ???..... they called all the little guys who gave them an earful of correct , up-to-the minute info and data , ....like on this AVS forum...........Dtv's market pentration is now SO HIGH , and so massive , they can do without the ma and pa stores , the mid sized shops , and custom installers that made directv what it is today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!charlie at dish never forgot his roots , and his dealer network is intact, so much more so than directv that its embarrassing to the digital giant........directv is a joke compared to charlie .........BE CAREFUL , thoughhhhhhh....charlie is about to go bigtime ......about HDTV , who knows how it gonna fare. with direct or with charlie !!!!!

...........its all about money , and HDTV adds to their costs , with very little customer base..........so this will be interesting to see how this unfolds ...very very interesting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

billy c northeast satcomm div.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
nothing beats a well-defined , articulated , hi-tech digital HDTV satellite image
Too bad the same cannot be said of this post. Can we use some semblance of grammar, please?

·
Registered
732 Posts
The reason that they eliminated those dealers was due to lack of activation or due to unacceptable levels of churn of those dealers customers. As a small dealer I was not affected, because my customers keep their service. I qualify them to be sure that they know that it is a long term commitment, and that they cannot cancel their service in the first year without a significant penalty.

Since DirecTV subsidizes the manufacturers cost on the receivers, they want every sale to be a long term relationship. It does neither the dealer or DirecTV (or Dish for that matter) to have a customer who either cannot afford to keep the service, or drops it after only 3-4 months:rolleyes: If the dealer runs his business properly, he would still be a DirecTV dealer.:cool:

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HTnut
Cmon Vic.. Is that really called for? Why do ppl on this board have to be so petty???? I think the point of the post is made regardless of his grammar.
I don't think it is. Posts like that are very hard to read and can easily lose the reader and make an important point be missed. I'm not being petty, just practical.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz

I don't think it is. Posts like that are very hard to read and can easily lose the reader and make an important point be missed. I'm not being petty, just practical.
I agree with Vic. After trying to read the first few lines, I just gave up. Actually, I began to think that this person was rodmanbra under a different name. If someone wants to communicate something effectively, then do so in an intelligent manner. It's very hard for me to take that first post seriously. Maybe that's what the poster intended. Who knows? Who can tell?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have to agree with Vic. It's not petty at all, just basic "board etiquette." What if we all wrote like that? I can understand it if you're emailing your buddies (or even in some chat rooms or I'Ming if you do that) and you want to keep it short and sweet by using keyboard shortcuts and whatnot, but in a forum such as this where you want to try and get your message across to essentially a bunch of strangers who undoubtedly WILL judge you by how well you communicate, it's important to do just that--communicate clearly. I attempted to understand what was trying to be said, and finally I was like, "whatever, I think I got it." Kind of odd though 'cause it seems like it takes more time to write incoherently than not. Especially with all those... .... ......... every coupla words.

On another note, Greg C, I'd like to ask you a question on the QT regarding a DirecTV installation (don't want to bore the other members). Let me know if it'd be ok.

Thanks,

NoelAV

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I've slogged my way through posts by sattv4u before. I've even tried to help him before. The lack of periods/sentances makes it pretty hard to read those posts.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree with Vic also. If the original poster can take some time and put his thoughts into words a little more clearly, I would be interested. My dealer was also shut down, after some administrative errors failed to take into account the number of activations they actually had. Any clear info on this matter would be appreciated. Not a good thing on Directv's part. It would be interesting to see if their would be any positive changes with Directv if the Echostar merger goes through.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I have a client who is a small directv dealer and installer and he really thought he would be cancelled also. Luckily he wasnt and thinks he wasnt due to the fact that he does alot of installations and is a troubleshooter for other installers.

Others install them and he gets a call from directv to fix other installers work.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
While I'm sure some of the smaller dealers were dead weight. I agree it is too bad to see smaller dealers go, as getting good information and help from bb and cc's of the world is nearly impossible.

Sorry but criticizing grammar is absolutely petty, plain and simple. This is not a grammar class or forum. I should know my grammar is horrible and is not getting better for being here. :p

I think we obviously all were able to understand what he was saying.

And as for people, judging people, I do so on what they say not how they spell or punctuate it.

--tony

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:
Sorry but criticizing grammar is absolutely petty, plain and simple. This is not a grammar class or forum. I should know my grammar is horrible and is not getting better for being here
Its not that his grammar was occasionally bad. Nobody really cares about that. It is that his posting style was quite annoying. I would like to point out that this forum and others clearly state that this sort of post should not take place. A certain amount of etiquette is expected. Is it that hard to post your opinions in a clear, concise manner? Paragraphs are not optional.

Brian

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi guys ...mmmmm, and thanx for the rebuttals , and if you would prefer , lololol, i can use college type rhetoric and grammar, then so be it !!...this post was not about grammar , syntax ,exclamations , punctuation, or senticing , it was all about information. And thanx to those that agree. Most people on the web , this site excluded, cant even spell, never mind syntax or paragraphing, ...geeeez, give me a break.

Read the information contained herein folks , thats what this site is about INFORMATION TO CULTIVATE THE HUMAN MIND , AND ENLIVEN THE SPIRIT . Geez, anyway, point is , too many small dealers are getting stiffed by directv , the end result being consumers are gonna get stiffed as well with poorer service , lower quality installs , and rush jobs , and the knowledge base of those good dealers that were canned will be gone too ! Who ya gonna call to find out about HDTV channels on the 119deg satellite , or how that fiber optic dolby digital connection hooks-up......the local-yokal at best buy , who's more worried about his pot supply for the nite , or your local professional hme thtre /custom installer who sells and installs directv since the early 90's ??????......Well , over 4000 of these professionals are now gone from directv !!...and this is just the beginning. it goes beyond the point of new installations , and thats what directv is looking for , just new installations . any moron can hang a dish, including myself. they directv have so much market share , that many new installs are not really new, yet the unsuspecting dealer is'nt aware of that.....or at least until after the work is done and its not commissionable . every phone number is tagged to an owner and an installer even if it goes back to directv's date of inception. if i or you installed , updated , modded, or added new equipment in nov/2001 , that installer WOULD NOT get credit for any of his work because that person's name or phone number was tagged to a differnt installer from way back when. interesting , is'nt it ! fair or unjust or rightious , thats the way it is !! my company installed 902 directv components from febuary to october 2001 . some were new installs , some were mod's , add-ons, updates, whatever, whatever.....some people even discontinued service after 2 months just to have the card in their possession. now, do we all get the message here, yet, the installation company got little to no credit or acknowledgement on the directv database, and were consequently eliminated from their dealer status with directv. There are many many more inequities , so so many that it would take too long to enumerate, that the preceeding dealer who wrote above is'nt even aware of , and unfortunately, its gonna get worse!!..with so many onboard customers already , there are fewer and few brandie new activations . In fact very few .

somethings gotta give here , but we have to play by directv's rules , and thats that . period.

this obviously is not or doesnt appear to be a buyers / consumer's problem....it is a dealers' problem. the spin-offs from this though , and the lack of dealers to support directv are going to be a problem down the road.

for us hi-end video, hdtv affectionados, this is a problem.....read this , they are getting rid of the hme thtre guys , and the custom installers , and keeping the mass merchandisers , and the bing-bang-thank-thank-youmadam....hang the dish and run guys !!!!

i for one dont want a 20 yr old kid that'll hang a dish for $25, and knows nothing about what he is doing , other than what he was programmed to do ; ...doing work in or around my house , or my hme thtre . watch..., there's gonna be problems in directv-land , pertaining to installations nationwide ; this problem goes much much deeper, so deep that you would have to be directly involved with directv for years to know everything that would take 3 pages to enumerate here ......BUT there are gonna be problems , and they are going to be sooner rather than later

lolol, hope this meets our friends' grammar acceptance

all you prospective buyers , please beware

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I don't know if this really is a problem. Setting up a dish and pulling coax is pretty easy. You mentioned setting up the digital audio output? Most home theater owners know how to RTFM. Honestly, the manuals are pretty good. Most receiver manufacturers even put their manual on the web, so you don't even have to worry about losing it.

If a consumer does his research and still can't find the answer to his problem, there are news groups and excellent fora like this one. Most customers who go for high end home theater tend to be pretty techie anyway.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I completely agree with vruiz and thank God for Ignore Lists!

I am completely sick and tired of reading posts from people who can't find the Shift key on their keyboards and think it's cool to strings random phrases together with "..." instead of writing simple sentences with correct punctuation. Stream of consciousness has been done before by much better writers.

Like I said, thank God for Ignore Lists, now I don't have to read these posts.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sattv4u
Hi guys ...mmmmm, and thanx for the rebuttals, and if you would prefer, lololol, I can use college type rhetoric and grammar, then so be it !!

This post was not about grammar, syntax, exclamations, punctuation, or senticing, it was all about information. And thanx to those that agree. Most people on the web, this site excluded, can't even spell, never mind syntax or paragraphing, ...geeeez, give me a break.

Read the information contained herein folks, thats what this site is about. INFORMATION TO CULTIVATE THE HUMAN MIND, AND ENLIVEN THE SPIRIT .

Geez, anyway, point is, too many small dealers are getting stiffed by DirecTV, the end result being consumers are gonna get stiffed as well with poorer service, lower quality installs, and rush jobs, and the knowledge base of those good dealers that were canned will be gone too !

Who ya gonna call to find out about HDTV channels on the 119deg satellite, or how that fiber optic dolby digital connection hooks-up......the local-yokal at Best Buy, who's more worried about his pot supply for the nite, or your local professional home theatre/custom installer who sells and installs DirecTV since the early 90's ??????

Well, over 4000 of these professionals are now gone from directv !! And this is just the beginning.

It goes beyond the point of new installations, and thats what DirecTV is looking for - just new installations . Any moron can hang a dish, including myself. DirecTV has so much market share that many new installs are not really new, yet the unsuspecting dealer is'nt aware of that.....or at least until after the work is done and its not commissionable.

Every phone number is tagged to an owner and an installer even if it goes back to DirecTV's date of inception. if I or you installed, updated, modded, or added new equipment in Nov/2001, that installer WOULD NOT get credit for any of his work because that person's name or phone number was tagged to a different installer from way back when. Interesting, is'nt it !

Fair or unjust or righteous, thats the way it is !!

My company installed 902 directv components from February to October 2001. Some were new installs, some were mod's, add-ons, updates, whatever, whatever.....some people even discontinued service after 2 months just to have the card in their possession.

Now, do we all get the message here, yet, the installation company got little to no credit or acknowledgement on the DirecTV database, and were consequently eliminated from their dealer status with DirecTV. There are many many more inequities, so so many that it would take too long to enumerate, that the preceeding dealer who wrote above is'nt even aware of, and unfortunately, it is gonna get worse!!.

With so many onboard customers already, there are fewer and few brand new activations. In fact very few .

Somethings gotta give here, but we have to play by DirecTV's rules, and thats that . Period.

This obviously is not or doesn't appear to be a buyers/consumer's problem....it is a dealers' problem. The spin-offs from this though, and the lack of dealers to support DirecTV are going to be a problem down the road.

For us hi-end video, HDTV affectionados, this is a problem. Read this, they are getting rid of the home theatre guys, and the custom installers, and keeping the mass merchandisers, and the bing-bang-thank-thank-youmadam....hang the dish and run guys !!!!

I for one don't want a 20 yr old kid that'll hang a dish for $25, and knows nothing about what he is doing, other than what he was programmed to do; ...doing work in or around my house, or my home theatre.

Watch..., there's gonna be problems in DirecTV-land, pertaining to installations nationwide; this problem goes much much deeper, so deep that you would have to be directly involved with DirecTV for years to know everything that would take 3 pages to enumerate here...... BUT there are gonna be problems, and they are going to be sooner rather than later.

lolol, hope this meets our friends' grammar acceptance all you prospective buyers, please beware

I tried to clean it up a bit and change the content as little as possible. If the original is easier to read I can delete this post.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Wow, that's a bit easier on the eyes!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.