AVS Forum banner

DirecTV signal problem

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  MRM4 
#1 ·
OK let me start off by saying that about a couple weeks ago I had a thunderstorm roll over my house and the receiver lost the signal. I called customer support and they told me to reconnect all the wires. What fixed the problem then was reconnecting the wires to the little silver splitter thing in the basement (I connected the wires to the other connections on the silver device). So today I had another thunderstorm roll over. I went down in the basement and did the same thing as before (I connected the wires back to the old connections. There are only to inputs and two outputs on this silver device I am talking about). The result of this is my receiver still cannot get a signal. I reconnected all of the other connections from my receiver to the satellite and nothing has worked. Now to add to this confusion, this is the signal for my HD receiver. I have three other SD receivers receiving SD signals in the house and they all work just fine. What could be the problem here. I don't think its my receiver.

#2 ·
The dish probably needs to be re-aligned and/or you have moisture in the cables.

Can you get the markings off this silver device you are referring to so we can determine what it is also?

#4 ·
That's just a ground block (which isn't even grounded), should have no impact on loss of signal. I'd have to go with alignment issue, bad output on the dish, etc.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx /forum/post/14150203

But sound like a cable (prehapps water in the outside cables). Or an alignment issue. The HD dishs are very heavy if they are not mounted properly they can move.

Mine wasn't tightened properly and moved after a few storms. I was out of my 90 warranty period but still called and asked for a free re-alignment. I'll never get those 30 minutes of my life back. After slamming the phone down in disgust I grabbed my ladder and re-aligned the dish in less than 10 minutes. I used a set of cordless phones set to "intercom" to listen to the receiver's test tones. After that I tightened every bolt I saw on that dish. Nothing like a "professional" installation.

My DIY install of a Phase III dish survived a wind powerful enough to suck out a set of attic windows and blow my riding lawnmower (with the parking brake set) across the yard.

-Robert

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Brown /forum/post/14411255

OK. We just had another thunderstorm today. I get all of my SD channels but no HD channels. Why is HD so sensitive?

The HD programming is on the Ka Frequencies and the beam is much MORE NARROW than the Ku signal that SD programming is on.

Furthermore, Ka has 3x the rainfade that Ku has.

Narrower beam + 3x rainfade = most more potential problems.

#9 ·
Did you loss them permanently or just during the storm?

#10 ·
We had DirecTV installed about 6 weeks ago. We lose our signal on both the HD and SD boxes every time it rains. My father-in-law has a similar set up to mine about 10 minutes away says he rarely loses his signal. Should I call for another alignment? I'm starting to get a little aggravated with it.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 /forum/post/14416214

We had DirecTV installed about 6 weeks ago. We lose our signal on both the HD and SD boxes every time it rains. My father-in-law has a similar set up to mine about 10 minutes away says he rarely loses his signal. Should I call for another alignment? I'm starting to get a little aggravated with it.

Either alignment or another issue.

Considering the grounding block does not appear to be grounded, it very easily could be someone did a crappy install.

How do your signal strengths compare to your fathers on the same transponders - on each individual bird?

#12 ·
Mine isn't the one with the grounding block issue. That was an earlier poster.

I'll have to compare the two. I remember mine being in the upper 80's and low 90's on most, but one was down in the 60's. I still have the number for the company that did the actual install. I think I will call them and have them come out and look at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.