AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't expect them to be able to carry any more until 7s is up. Whether or not they announce anything before that time... who knows. They've already made quite a few announcements that are contingent upon a successful launch of 7s, so they may not want to push it.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's due to launch in February. You should be able to see the launch here . I'd expect it to be up and running around the end of March, give or take.
Quote:
Originally posted by RAVEN56706
I knew the CES wouldnt give out anything new......
They announced CBS HD and probably FOX ED(HD in the fall), for those who can get it. May not be of interest to you or me, but I'm sure it is for those who can. I'm also sure there are people in the 18 additional markets that they announced that are happy as well.

·
Registered
564 Posts
So 7S goes up in February. 7 Conus Feeds and 37 Spot Beams. That's 14 HD and 380-420 local channels. Sweet......

1. HDNet

2. HDNet Movies

3. ESPN HD

4. DISC HD

5. SHOW HD

6. HBO HD

7. CBS East

8. CBS West

9. FOX East

10. FOX West

11-14??????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Plus current capacity of some 8 channels.... HmmmmmmmHmmmmmm

How about a $39.95 HD pack with other networks to wipe Voom off the planet? Could be folks. Could be. 14-18 HD Channels?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chkelly
any idea on when CBS and FOX will be up and running?
When I requested my waiver this morning I was told they will have CBS up and running the Wednesday before the Superbowl, but that I wouldn't get it as it takes 45-60 days to get the waiver.....

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Skyboss
7 Conus Feeds and 37 Spot Beams. That's 14 HD and 380-420 local channels. ... Plus current capacity of some 8 channels....
Not quite. You're forgetting about the other national feeds that are on 119 (the Para Todos channels, plus a few others). Also, just because 7s has 7 CONUS transponders doesn't mean they will all be available. DirecTV only has 11 transponders at 119. How many of those that will be taken up by the spots depends on how the spots are configured. The spots at 101 take up six transponders, so if we assume a similar configuration, then that would only leave 5 frequencies available for use on the CONUS transponders. Assuming four needed for Para Todos, etc., and that leaves only one transponder, or two additional HD channels. I've not seen any information on how the spots will be configured, so it's hard to say at this point, but even if they can use all 7 CONUS transponders, that would still only leave room for six additional HD channels at 119. BUT, 7s will free up 4 or so transponders at 101, so the net add should be somewhere around the equivalent of 10 HD channels, give or take depending on how those spots are configured, and what they do with compression on existing SD channels (personally, I'm hoping they use SOME of that space to reduce compression).

Adding 10 HD channels would be within their stated growth of doubling or tripling their HD content this year. That should also more than cover the bulk of the decent HD networks that are and will become available this year. And of course, this does not take in to consideration their abilities to expand into their FSS and Ka reserves.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's certainly possible. The CONUS transponders on 7s are reportedly much higher power than what they've been using in the past. That would allow them to use less error correction, which results in more usable bandwidth... enough to carry two HD feeds on one transponder WITHOUT the need for re-compression. Hopefully we don't have long to wait to see what they have in store. :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Darin
That would allow them to use less error correction, which results in more usable bandwidth... enough to carry two HD feeds on one transponder WITHOUT the need for re-compression.
That would be the biggest benefit! :) Locals aside, D* really needs to work on improving PQ accross the board. Maybe its from watching HD material all the time, but most channels are loooking like they are being beamed down from a frigate in the sky and not a high quality satellite.

If they did this, I'm guessing about 60 channels could be placed at the 110 location and since Para Doo doo requires the triple sat anyway, it makes it an easy shift.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Suddenly, it doesn't look so good for DirecTV 7S launching in the next month...

According to this article the recently launched Telstar 14 Satellite failed to deploy one of it's solar panels.

This is bad, because Telstar 14 is the same model satellite as DirecTV 7S. They won't want to launch 7S until the problem on Telstar 14 is understood and they can convince themselves it won't happen again...

Craig

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That does suck. The only good news is it happened to them, not us, and it happened before 7s went up. :D There is a LOT at stake, so you can bet there will be a lot of scurrying about to identify the issue, and take corrective measures if necessary. Much better to have a delay, than to have it get there and not work properly.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Tell me directv's satellite is still ok?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
What's the deal with these guys getting a satellite into orbit properly??? It's not exactly rocket scie... err, never mind. ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Quote:
Tell me directv's satellite is still ok?
It's still sitting on the ground... In other words, it's still as ok as it was yesterday.

The problem is that another satellite just like it (or very similar, anyways) is misbehaving on orbit. I am speculating that this will cause a delay in the launch of DirecTV's satellite, because they will (prudently) want to make sure theirs does not have the same problem. There is no AAA to call in space when your satellite breaks down, at least not for geosynchronous sats. :) (The Space shuttle cannot fly anywhere near that high - it's just too far away)

How big a delay is anyone's guess. Maybe 0. We can all hope...

And just to be clear, the launch (the rocket science part of it) seems to have been perfect. It's the payload that's had a problem, not the rocket that launched it.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
So the satellite designs are actually different.... And the odds of this failure leading to another one is small...

Probably will not delay the launch in this case.

·
Registered
9,418 Posts
This is probably based on ignorance of the commercial satellite market but it's a wonder there hasn't been more problems like the Telstar one. Driving around, you see all kinds of businesses -- supermarkets, restaurants, gas stations -- with one or two satellite dishes, all pointed in the same direction as Direct TV and Dish Network satellites. It's a wonder with all those birds up there that there aren't more problems.

Or that they don't crash into each other.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is an extremely interesting industry and technology. Failures really aren't all THAT rare, be it an issue with the satellite itself, or damage from something external. But generally, they are only partial failures, from what I've seen. They can often still opererate, but some times at reduced power, or with a reduced expected service life, etc. In fact, I believe that both DirecTV and E* have satellites in the air that have one problem or another. They are both somewhat lucky that they've never had a problem significant enough to seriously impact their service. Now, they both have so many up there, that they can handle failures fairly well. If something major were to happen to one of their birds, they could farily easily shift at least part of their burden to another satellite they have that's not being fully utilized.

And keep in mind those things are 22k miles up in space. So, by my math (which may be majorly screwed up, because this number is HUGE), even if they were spaced only 1° apart, that's almost six million miles! :eek: Those things are fairly tightly controlled, so I don't think they do a whole lot of bumping around. :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Um, Darin, I think your math is a little off.

The earth is roughly 8,000 miles in diameter. Add a circle 22,000 miles above the earth's surface and you get a 52,000 mile diameter.

The circumference is 52,000 * 3.14 = 163,280 miles. Divide that by 360 to get a 1-degree slice and you get 454 miles for a 1-degree separation.

I think. ;)

Rick

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heh, I thought that seemed big. I was doing Pi r squared to get circumference (which is actually area), not the correct Pi d. Guess I shouldn't get a job working for NASA. :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.