Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just moved into an apartment complex and was locked into a DirecTV vendor (SBC, grrr). The receiver they gave is an absoulte piece of crap and I'd like to purchase something with OTA HD support (since SWB doesn't offer HD with their DirecTV service). I'm looking at the Samsung SIR-TS360. I've read about all the problems people have run into trying to use another receiver in complexes with stacked signals.

So, a few questions:

Are there any HD receivers with destacking support built-in?

Is there an inexpensive place to purchase a destacker (preferably in the Houston area so I can catch the Astros game in HD tonight :D)?

Will an "RCA Diplexer" work? (Can't post link b/c I don't have enough posts)

Regards,

Zack

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in an apartment complex, so the signal is already stacked. Wouldn't that require me to purchase a destacker for any other DSS receiver to work?

-Zack

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Are you going to replace one receiver that is a consumer model, with another which you would like to be HD? How is it set-up now? If you say the signal is already stakced then you must be destacking it for the reciever you have now. are you trying to add in another reciver or replace the one you already have?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Take your incoming line, split it with a high frequency splitter (5-2300 MHz).

Take one leg of the splitter to the +13 side of any standard 2x4 or 3x4 multi-switch.

Take the other leg of the splitter and run it to a destacker.

Take the output side of the destacker to the +18 side of the multi-switch.

This gives you four destacked lines to use in your apartment with any type of IRD you choose. However, as with most stacked systems, you will only be receiving programming from the 101 satellite. No 119 (locals for some markets & international) or 110 (HD).

Hope that is what you were looking for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the all the advice guys, but I hooked up the SIR-TS360 and everything worked great after I called SBC and gave them the new card number. It must have wideband support (e.g., a built-in destacker). Now my only problem is getting all of the HD local channels through an indoor antenna. I'm using the 20dbi Samsung (after trying four others), and I can get two or three local channels at about 40-60%, any recommendations on a better one?

Regards,

Zack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.