AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way ( cables or converter ) to connect my Standard Receiver that only has AV out connection ( red / white / yellow ) to and HDMI in port (in my specific case a Logitech Revue ) ?

P_

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Yes.. get a 7111 from Monoprice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks , very good suggestion !

I've noticed that this model upconvert to 720p only. I've found other models on Amazon or Ebay with 720/1080p options. I do not mind the 1080p option in terms of a better picture ( I do not think it will really make any difference upscaling an already poor 480i signal ) . But I am wondering if it will make a difference using the passthrough HDMI port of the REVUE (HDMI input: 1080p/60fps, 1.3a w/ CEC).

P_

·
Registered
897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakalrtb /forum/post/20796009

Thanks , very good suggestion !

I've noticed that this model upconvert to 720p only. I've found other models on Amazon or Ebay with 720/1080p options. I do not mind the 1080p option in terms of a better picture ( I do not think it will really make any difference upscaling an already poor 480i signal ) . But I am wondering if it will make a difference using the passthrough HDMI port of the REVUE (HDMI input: 1080p/60fps, 1.3a w/ CEC).

P_

A 720p probably would work (though the REVUE specs don't show 720p or 1080i) but if the 1080p models don't cost much if any more I would recommend you get that model. Here is a link to more units:
http://www.google.com/search?q=compo...rlz=1I7ADFA_en

If you have a cable receiver you should consider the guanity of HD programing you would get by upgrading to an HD receiver with a HDMI port. My Cox service charges $2 per Mo more for the HD receiver. I assume you are trying to cut your costs for service so you have to weigh fixed VS monthly costs.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you are going from rca to hdmi, it doesnt matter if your upconverter is 720 or 1080, you are still feeding it a 480i signal. Garbage in, garbage out.

And I completely agree with the above poster, if you can just get an hd receiver, go for it. You bought an hdtv, so watch hd content on it.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I would say don't waste your money. Looks like those things are going to run you at least $50. If you upgrade to a DirecTV HD receiver the most it could possibly cost you is $100, and if you are close to the end of your 2 year contract with them they will usually give it to your for free (sometimes they'll even give you an HD-DVR for free). You will have to agree to 2 more years of service though.

Also if you agree to sign up for auto-billpay through them you should be able to get the HD Access Fee waived for 2 years.

So you could end up getting HD for free, compared to paying $50 to 100 to watch a crappy converted SD signal over HDMI.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts
Get an HD receiver.

Don't feed your HDTV SDTV; it deserves better and so do you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your prompt replies.

My problem is NOT shelling out 50 or 100 or even more dollars to get an HD receiver or sign up for an HD programming. And you are right , my HDTV deserve better than that. One smaaaaaaaaaaaaal problem though. I do not live in the USA , but in the Bay Islands (Honduras) , and I am using a 1.80 meter dish to get the DirecTV bird , but no way I can get the HD bird, I'd need a 4 meters dish and several thousands $$$ set up for that !!!!

By the way, I bought the 7111 from Monoprice; gladly received it in 3 days from order to delivery in Florida ( this is where I am currently ). I gladly noticed that the specs from Monoprice where most probably from an old model, because this 7111 has also a 720/1080 selector. I tried it with a Standard Receiver I have here. Hooked it to my REVUE .............. and voila', it is perfectly working allowing me to fully deploy all the REVUE features.

P_

1 - 8 of 8 Posts