AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need advise on what to do to stop directv technicians from coming into my backyard to check out our system. eversince we installed directv system in our house 2 different technicians have walked into our backyard without our consent to check things out, or so they say. Is this a normal routine from directv?

I don't know why we are a target of their suspicions but, I have nothing to hide, and they are pissing me off, as the only thing that I get from directv is HBO so I can watch HBOHD and HDNET. I don't mind showing my stuff if they would ask, but this seems too strange. I called directv and they know nothing about it... Has anyboby had to deal with this kind of situation with directv?

sorry, if I posted in the wrong place.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by piquin
eversince we installed directv system in our house 2 different technicians have walked into our backyard without our consent to check things out, or so they say.
Have you asked them what their doing? I don't have DirecTv, yet, but if someone showed up in my backyard I'd probably call the cops!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Did you get their license plate numbers?

Hope you own a gun. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I wasn't there when this happened, and my wife did not get the license plate neither more info, except who he was. but apparently one of our neighbors saw a truck with directv words on the truck. I called directv again for the 3rd time and they don't know nothing. Well, I guess its time to get prepared just in case this directv guys shows up again....

Thanks for your advise.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
They could be a new and inexpereinced installation contractor. They may just be looking at your installation to "see how the pros do it". Not very re-assuring for new customers getting "professional" installations but it's the sad state of the industry these days. These are the same people that contract CATV installations and probably do phones too. In most states low voltage residential wiring does not require a license. As long as you pay your bill, the DBS comapines could care less how you install your dish. Exception being the two way Dish Network internet service.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Could be a cable man, do a check for signal leak also :rolleyes:

·
Registered
520 Posts
You should also realize that they probably aren't "DirecTV" employees. The installers are just local contractor guys. They get orders from DirecTV but they also have other businesses. If they are examining your install and not fulfilling a work order then DirecTV is not going to know anything about it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have been a DirecTV customer for about four years now and there has never been anyone in my backyard from DirecTV. I have had plenty of cable guys around, but they are idiots so I just blow them off.

OUT

·
Registered
732 Posts
As someone who has installed many systems for DirecTV, there would be no need to come on your property unless you called them for a service call. It would be trespassing. I would notify your local police, as this is very suspicious.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Mount a 50 caliber machinegun on your porch surrounded with sand bags and get ready.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Juan
Mount a 50 caliber machinegun on your porch surrounded with sand bags and get ready.
:D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I just moved to CO, so I don't know about the laws here, but back in Texas, we could post no trespassing signs in our backyards and be legally entitled to shoot at any trespassers (I believe this law applied mainly at night though).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Thank you guys for all input, and this is a good idea that I am about to consider, after all WE are in war.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drvais
I just moved to CO, so I don't know about the laws here, but back in Texas, we could post no trespassing signs in our backyards and be legally entitled to shoot at any trespassers (I believe this law applied mainly at night though).
hmmm I think you misunderstood this.. before people go crazy, I think there has to be a threat against you. you cant just open up fire upon someone walking.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Not true in Texas. If it is dark outside, and you have a trespasser, you have a legal right to shoot them if you choose to do so. Prosecutors won't like, but there's not much they can do to you. Just be sure that if you shoot, shoot to kill otherwise the trespasser/burglar can come back and sue you (it's happened, as crazy as it sounds).

To caveat on silvercas' point though, this intrusion on your property may be a misunderstanding, so don't get trigger happy. At the very least, post a "No Trespassing" sign on your property though if you want this to stop. If you really want to get your point across, right "Including DirecTV installers" on the sign.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I switched to DirecTv just about 2 weeks ago and called to cancel my cable service. Yesterday, a cable rep came to my house, lied to wife at least 3 times, was alllowed inside. He checked throughout the house - all cable connections. He told my wife that he was trying to improve the service connections. I wonder why he was really there. Called the cable company who pled ignorance (an easy sell I might add).

I wrote a detailed letter to the local City Attorney asking for action, copying the cable company - mailed it today - we'll see.......................

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.