AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hearing the new PVRs from DirecTV will me missing the 30 second skip feature. This is a deal breaker for me. That is the biggest reasons I use a PVR. I own an HD Tivo and I wouldn't want to give that up for a advertiser friendly version. Can we protest or fight back? Any ideas? Pray that Dish gets all the HD networks?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Despite the large sums we pay DirecTV, it seems they don't work for us, but for the MPAA and their ilk. For them, this is a MUST NOT.

Comcast is going to have an integrated HD Tivo soon. Presumably it will have 30-second skip.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I agree. I use the 30 second skip for all sorts of sporting events and shows and is one reason I prefer using my HD-TIVO over my Comcast 6412. That and the jump forward or back 15 minutes are tough to go without on the 6412.

--Darin

·
Registered
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2
I agree. I use the 30 second skip for all sorts of sporting events and shows and is one reason I prefer using my HD-TIVO over my Comcast 6412. That and the jump forward or back 15 minutes are tough to go without on the 6412.

--Darin
The 6412 has a 30 second skip, but you have to activate it yourself. You can also put the skip in a macro, to repeat the 30 second skip n times. I use a 30 second and 3 minute skip all the time.

There are already reports of people getting the latest sw upgrade from Comcast and losing the skip ability. On Comcast, it would appear that the days of skipping are numbered.

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Give it up. I wish there was a shot, but it is unlikely.

The SKIP button is the only button on my remote with the printing worn off. When I upgraded 2 of my kids to Tivos, I didn't even program the 30 second skip so they wouldn't become so attached to it like I did.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Rookie
The 6412 has a 30 second skip, but you have to activate it yourself.
Near Seattle we have the Microsoft version and it has not had the 30 second skip capability, unless they added it recently.

--Darin

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I will miss the 30 second skip and other TiVo features but if DirecTV improves picture quality significantly when HDTV goes to MPEG4 and the PVR works well otherwise, I will be more than happy with the change.

Chris

·
Registered
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonjoe255
I didn't know that a 30 second advertisement could be so annoying.
It isn't. It's the 3 - 5 minute advertisement that is so annoying.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
So FF doesn't work either? ;)

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
FF will work, and I'd imagine we'll all get pretty good at it - but I hate going too far and seeing stuff that's gonna happen. Right now it's typically 7 or 8 skips, then 1-4 backward jumps and viola.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
There is always MythTV.. Sure, it can be a pain in the butt to set up, but once it is, it works great. It's developed open source programmers, deciding what features to add based on usability, not Rupert Murdoch deciding what to add based on what gets him the most $$.

It not only has the 30 second skip, but it will actually scan the MPEG data and look for commercial breaks, and automatically mark them for skipping. It works very well on most of the programs I have recorded.. no button pressing at all, just a little OSD indicator saying commercials were skipped.

Of course, it's not integrated with cable/satellite, so scrambled channels are a no-go. But, I use mine with Comcast cable, and record local channels, a few cable HD channels, and all the SD analog channels.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Rookie
So you've tried this:
Thanks. I hadn't looked recently and didn't know of any way to get that. I'll have to check my firmware rev and try this.

--Darin

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
The last time I looked into this, to add the 30-second skip you have to give up the 'normal' behavior of that button. I would rather just keep options as they are-visually skipping over commercials is not a 'big effort' to me.

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
The "normal" function of that button is to skip right to the end of the program. That's a function with zero value to me - not sure what the point actually is.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Like others here, I made use of programming in the 30 second skip button on my 6412 remote (thanks AVS, I wouldn't have known how to do this otherwise).

Like others, it is the most used button on the remote.

I will eventually upgrade our Canadian DBS system to their re-branded 942. BEV (the Canadian DBS system) has the most HD available of any system - cable or sat.

...mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.