AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the issue, I have Timewarner internet and Directv for TV. In my office I have the TW modem connected to coax on one wall and I just bought a slingbox which I want to hook up a satellite reciever in the office. I am running into a snag at this point, It appears that I cant use a splitter coming off the wall going to both my directv box and my modem, its either one or the other. Is that supposedto like that or did the installer just not make the directv satellite connect outside to this coax line at the junction box?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Do you currently have two wall outlets one for the direct TV receiver and one for the cable modem?

If not is this quote from you correct "the wall going to both my directv box and my modem, its either one or the other", since that implied to me that you can use either the modem or the direct TV tuner but not both concurently using a single cable from the wall?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/16930302

Do you currently have two wall outlets one for the direct TV receiver and one for the cable modem?

If not is this quote from you correct "the wall going to both my directv box and my modem, its either one or the other", since that implied to me that you can use either the modem or the direct TV tuner but not both concurently using a single cable from the wall?

Sorry if I didnt make it clear, there is ONE coax outlet. I have tried to hook up both satellite and internet through it via asplitter but it wont work. Is this the way it is supposed tobe or can the coax carry both signals.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
So you tried to hook up either satellite tuner or modem to it without using a splltter and only the cable modem worked is that correct? I would suspect yes since AFAIK the two signals can not be merged onto a single coax connection but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/16930507

So you tried to hook up either satellite tuner or modem to it without using a splltter and only the cable modem worked is that correct? I would suspect yes since AFAIK the two signals can not be merged onto a single coax connection but I may be wrong.

the modem works but not the satellite with or without a splitter, what is AFAIK? I have a directv installer on the way out to verify that the coax port in question is actually connected at the satellite outside. I am just wondering if they can both, the satellite and modem, be utilized from the same single connection?!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
AsFarAsIKnow.

So the DirectTV is not connected in any way to your office.

I think the DirectTV installer may have to install another line to your office for his tuner.

Do you have another DirecTV tuner working anywhere else in your home?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.