Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just recently purchased an philips 30pw9110d HDTV. I feed it with composite cables from my hdvr2, and the picture looks ok, but not very sharp, or crisp. I am going to try just a regular receiver (not tivo), and see if there is a picture inprovement, or not. DVD looks fantasic, and I like the set, but if there isn't anything I can do, maybe it's the set, and how it handles SD. Is there something that can be adjusted on the Tivo output to correct this?

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
141 Posts
the only thing you should try is to use a s-video cable instead of composite. unfortunately, the picture will only improve slightly. you can always get a hd tivo but any sd source will suffer from the same problem. you should also see the aspect ratio settings on the tivo/tv

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

I have been playing around with the brightness, and other settings, but can only get it marginal. I have heard on other HD sets, that SD PQ looks great, so I am not sure what I am going to do, since SD is most of our watching time. I am also trying to get HD OTA with antenna, but haven't really had time yet. I have also tried svideo, and change was marginal. I am wondering if it's because the set upconverts it to 1080i. I don't know if it does that with the composite cables, or not. Does anybody else have directv tivo, and have great images on their HD set?

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Calibrating is not "playing around with the brightness". You need a calibration DVD like Avia or VE. That will help.

I have used a series 1 DirecTivo on my HD set for almost 3 years. With a calibrated set, my picture is good. DVD and HD look much better. I just upgraded to the HD DirecTivo since I couldn't pass up the 50% off deal. There is no difference on SD material but HD looks great.

-Robert

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, where would I pickup one of these discs? Can I rent one, or purchase one somewhere? ALso, what TV model do you have? I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You can buy or rent the Avia or Video Essentials calibration DVDs from a variety of dealers (Amazon, NetFlix, etc.). Highly recommended! Proper calibration made a big difference on my 40" Sony KV40XB800 CRT HDTV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.