AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Who knows how that would turn out. I would think (if the business end could be worked out) that a merged company would look to leverage TiVo's superior service. However, who is to say if the business-types even value anything like that, or think that it makes a difference with consumers? The PVR is probably something they think they "have to do because everyone else is doing it".

·
Registered
404 Posts
If Directv gives Tivo the boot, I hope Tivo makes a stand alone box. Most of my viewing is coming from HD Primetime anyway? Cable doesn't have that many good shows like CSI, Alias, 24 and so on. Primetime has great shows and HD makes them more enjoyable. I think a stand alone Tivo HD would sell. I own 2 Tivo's now.

:D

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PoolShark
If Directv gives Tivo the boot, I hope Tivo makes a stand alone box. Most of my viewing is coming from HD Primetime anyway? Cable doesn't have that many good shows like CSI, Alias, 24 and so on. Primetime has great shows and HD makes them more enjoyable. I think a stand alone Tivo HD would sell. I own 2 Tivo's now.
When HD Tivo first appeared on the horizon (I believe it was at this year's CES) it was discussed that there were two units planned - one with D* support, the other OTA only.

Since then most of the talk, and I believe all of the official talk has been about the D* capable unit. I assume that the OTA hasn't been canned, just shelved so that Tivo can concentrate on getting the harder unit right the first time. Then the OTA unit could be easily adapted from the D* box (hopefully just pull out the satelite tuners and tweak the software a little).

I personally am waiting for the OTA box also, unless the sat box is so cheap and the D* service is optional so that I could just not use that part (not holding my breath).

-phil

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Check this out, for whatever is worth:

"September 26, 2003

Rumors of DirecTV Dumping TiVo Hammers Stock Price

By Jerry Del Colliano

Rumors reported by the Los Angeles Times and Reuters say that DirecTV, under the control of News Corp, is planning to end its four year relationship with TiVo. The rumor sent TiVo?s stock down 16 percent today.

TiVo spokespeople have told reporters that they intend to continue to do business with DirecTV and for good reason. Reportedly over half of TiVo?s 800,000 subscribers come from DirecTV.

What might Rupert Murdoch and News Corp have up their sleeves? Possibly a deal with Microsoft who unsuccessfully launched a personal video recorder system named Ultimate TV. ReplayTV also has a competing service both of which could be had by DirecTV in a way that could lower costs and or improve earnings.

Sources that work closely with the DirecTV installed product say that by the end of the year (or by Q1 2004) TiVo has a DirecTV HDTV version of their PVR. This is a highly anticipated product for the increasing number of consumers who have opted to go for HDTV. With this in mind, Murdoch and DirecTV may just be making noise to make sure TiVo knows who?s boss.

Source: e-online.com, Reuters, LA Times"

-THTS

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Maybe Murdoch will solve the complainers problem of a decision to drop the DTV support of the HDTV TIVO by dropping HDTV altogether. Just a thought! It does appear that HDTV has severely attacked the limited resources of DirecTV while not offering much in the way of ROI. Everyone knows that HDTV is a glamour niche product right now for all services but it really doesn't pay it's own tab, yet. Murdoch may have a totally different philosophy to run this company, maybe he feels he should concentrate on what turns the quickest buck now and worry about catch-up later when HTV becomes mainstream and not having it begins to cost him too may paying subscribers.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
interesting don ;)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
Maybe Murdoch will solve the complainers problem of a decision to drop the DTV support of the HDTV TIVO by dropping HDTV altogether. Just a thought! It does appear that HDTV has severely attacked the limited resources of DirecTV while not offering much in the way of ROI. Everyone knows that HDTV is a glamour niche product right now for all services but it really doesn't pay it's own tab, yet. Murdoch may have a totally different philosophy to run this company, maybe he feels he should concentrate on what turns the quickest buck now and worry about catch-up later when HTV becomes mainstream and not having it begins to cost him too may paying subscribers.
The only problem with your analogy is that the News Corp execs have said numerous times that HD and PVR's will be their focus to grow their subscriber base.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Currently we only watch OTA HD. We don't have satellite or cable and I don’t feel like we’re missing much. We've used a HiPix for the past couple of years to record, but I'd much prefer a commercial HD PVR solution.

When the DirectTV HD TIVO was announced, I came to the conclusion that this was the product that would finally motivate me to get satellite. If DirectTV bails on this product, then I'm back to square one and will be looking for an OTA HD PVR solution. But I want an alternative to the Zenith unit, so I hope someone else does an HD TIVO.

Best regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.