AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided after quite some time to trade cable for a directv satellite system equipped with Tivo. It seems these two technologies are a marriage made in heaven. I have a couple of questions for the more knowledgeable posters here:

1) What is the best deal going for this combination? I have seen directv with basic equipped offered for free with pro bono installation. I haven't seen this kind of deal offered with a tivo/combo box. I'm looking to have one tivo/directv receiver, and two additional receivers.

2) Any suggestions/pointers from those who have taken the plunge on this system recently?

3) I currently have a 30 hr tivo unit with lifetime guide subscription already paid for. Will I have to purchase this guide for my new tivo/directv box too? (I suspect yes, although I have seen others allude to the possibility of getting it for free)

4) Are the 6th generation receivers worth the price? I recently ripped up my digital cable simply because navigation was clumsy and slow. I want to be able to navigate/change channels with the greatest ease. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

I appreciate your input

·
Registered
761 Posts
1. Directivo's are in a transitional phase between new models. The older ones are hard to find and the new ones aren't on the shelves yet (or are they?). As a new subscriber you might find one a substantial discount. Use your clout now, once your offically a Directv subscriber, you lose your leverage.

2. Directivos are addictive even though the build quality is suspect on almost all the older models. One real good perk to Directivo is only one subscription fee for any number of Directivos. While you do have to pay the mirror fee for each additional receiver (4.95), the original single tivo service fee covers all Directivos in the house.

3. The bad news is Stand Alone Tivos are not part of the inclusive Tivo subscription deal with Directv. But the SA Tivo comes in handy if you get your locals via antenna as the Directivo will not receive or record OTA signals.

You should point your questions in the Tivo Community forum. It's just a ways below this forum on the front page. There is an entire forum for Directvios and other Tivo related stuff.

Terry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turbo,

Thanks for the reply. I found the other forum, and have already posted there.

I was unaware that dtivo permitted multiple units for one fee. That is really one more great reason to get this sexy combination.

I have had a standalone tivo for two years, and recently I learned about the modem problem. It's a shame I didn't find the tivo forum in time. I was able to get a directivo receiver/satellite/2 addtionall receivers/installation for under 2 hundred dollars delivered through expert satellite (another member tipped me off to them). My plan is to fix my standalone unit, and sell it on Ebay with the lifetime guide service. I'm hoping that when all is said and done, I will have all the above equipment installed for free with some money left over.

Directv and Tivo seem to be a match made in heaven.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.